HDTV receivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GerardoHP, Feb 17, 2001.

1. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    I bought the Panasonic HDTV receiver awhile back and hate it. H-A-T-E-I-T. Good Guys told me they will replace it with one of my choice as soon as there are some available, and I haven't been keeping track of the new receivers out there. Can anyone tell me which ones have hit the street? And how they compare to each other? Should I get one now or should I wait? Thanks.

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Hey, Gerardo, welcome!
    What were the problems with the Panasonic decoder? I'm sure the other folks here would love to learn from your experience.
    I'm using the Dish 6000 satellite receiver with OTA tuner module. I was already a Dish Network subscriber, so the swap up to the HD-capable receiver/decoder was a no-brainer.
    Right now, WFAA-HD in Dallas is showing their overnight HD demo loop. It's staggering at times, and it just amazes me to no end that I can get this from broadcast television.
    Many new set-top boxes were announced at CES, and they will be coming to market in the coming year. If you look back in the last month's worth of posts, you will also see discussion on the more popular satellite/decoder combos, and a couple of the non-satellite decoders.
    Best of luck!
    - Steve

3. GerardoHP

Gerardo Paron
    Wanna know what I don't like about the Panasonic HD decoder? Here goes:
    It has the worst on-screen display, bar none, I have ever seen: confusing graphics that are cut off at the top and bottom of the 16X9 screen, sometimes disappear too soon, and sometimes need to be turned off because they won't go away; awakward display of favorite stations (no names, just numbers, so you have to memorize the station numbers); graphics that literally take several seconds to be invoked -- sometimes you press the keys and nothing happens, and then, a few moments later, the station changes, often to the wrong one because the keys stick unless you press them vvveeerrryyy slowly and aim exactly at the unit.
    The remote is an infrared remote, not an RF remote, which means not only you have to be on the line of sight of the TV but a few feet from it as well -- if I try to change the station from the next room, it doesn't work.
    The unit has a noisy fan that's turned on all the time. I used to always leave my Sony box on because it was so quiet. This one just needs to be turned off every time I'm not watching TV because it's so noisy.
    So there you have it -- those are my main complaints. There are others, but I can't think of them now because most have to do with the remote and the display, and you gotta see it to believe how bad it is.
    Yes, the HD picture looks phenomenal -- but the rest just sucks!
    ------------------
    Gerardo

4. GaryS

GaryS Agent

Gerardo,
    I also have the Panasonic and can voice the same complaints that you outlined. I am keeping it until my 30 days is up and then hopefully the Sony will be available. One thing you may want to try while you are waiting is a universal remote. I think alot of the Panny's problems are the crappy remote. I programmed my universal remote and it appears to be a little better. The graphics are still slow but I no longer have to press the key 3-4 times for it to register. Don't get me wrong it's not a permanent solution but it just may make your life a little easier until your replacement arrives.

5. GerardoHP

Gerardo Paron
    What universal remote did you get, Gary? I am planning to get one, but I'm going to wait until I have the definitive receiver.
    ------------------
    Gerardo

6. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

Panasonic and Technics remote transmiters and front panel sensors are very weak compared to other brands. I have a pronto and I can point this thing in any direction and make any of my equipment respond. But with my Technic DD/DTS decoder the Pronto still has to be pointed directly at it. I have to use HotLinks IR amplifier repeater on the Technic.

7. GaryS

GaryS Agent

Gerardo,
    I am just using a One-For-All Cinema 7. It was only $30 and has been able to learn all of my devices. Despite what the manual says almost every key is programmable. The only down side is that it can only learn about 28 keys.

8. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Auditioning

I have the home theater master sl9000 and am very pleased. It intuitively handles the sony xbr400, dish6000, the 4dtv big dish system, DVD, laser disc, and a/v receiver. It is a traditional remote with a large LCD readout of the component being controlled.
    Mike