HDTV Receivers

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by HomerG, Jan 16, 2004.

1. HomerG

HomerG Auditioning

I'm starting research on the HDTV that I want to buy and apart from the TV, there is now the receiving and decoding of the over the air HD signal itself. Just looking at Circuit City, they sell two of them, a motorola MOT HDT100 at $299, and a Samsung SAM SIRT351 at $399. I'm sure there are others.

What makes a "good" receiver? Any ideas as to why it seems so expensive (maybe it's just me)? And are there HDTVs that come with a "good" tuner already built in?

Thanks

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

HomerG,

Have you decided on the way you are going to receive HD signals (Cable/Satellite/Over the air)? If you are looking at Cable or Sat, the box is included and you do not need another box unless you have satellite and want your locals over the air (OTA). If you need OTA reception, you do need to buy a box.

3. John S

John S Producer

I was at a few different stores including a CC the other day, and most stores right now, have open box HDTV tuners for around $200. I bought a Zenith HDV-420 before xmas for around $200 as well.

They all have very similar specs and features, I don't know that there is much difference at all performance wise. I am happy with mine.

4. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

I was researching my HDTV monitor and looked into a tuner @ my local Radio Shack and theirs were 300.00, and 500.00
    'Course all their stuff is kinda high priced

5. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Am I to understand that if u have satellite and have subscribed to local channels, u will not be getting HD broadcast from said network locals?

6. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

Eric,

You will not receive your locals in HD via satellite. You will need an antenna to pick up any local digital station.

The only exception is the national CBS-HD feed via Dish Network, which the majority of people cannot receive (it's a matter of qualifying for the station).

[​IMG]

7. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

I am getting my DirecTV receiver probably on Tuesday, but the Installer is not arriving until Saturday. If I have an antenna can I get the OTA channels before the installation?

Thanks
    Todd

8. Iver

Iver Second Unit

You can if:

1) your antenna is connected to an H/DTV OTA receiver, also known as a set-top box or STB, and this is in turn connected to an HD-ready display or;

2) your antenna is connected to an "integrated" H/DTV (a set with HD rez and an in-built H/DTV tuner).

Even after the satellite install, you're still free to tune your local H/DTV OTA channels (as long as you have the above gear).

9. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

Iver,

Thanks. I will be getting the receiver during the week so I will be able to use it as soon as possible. That is great news.

Todd

10. Hank

Hank Guest

Just picked up the Motorola HDT100 and a RCA 1250 indoor antenna to pick up my local HD channels. The HDT100 works great and is a great value. The only features it lacks is DVI (my HDTV doesn't have DVI) and a coax digital out (optical only). It was very easy to set up. I can't wait to watch the Superbowl on CBS.

11. HomerG

HomerG Auditioning

In reply to Jeff Gatie, I am looking for OTA, since I currently live in a condominium complex, and I can't get Satellite installed, and I don't want to pay for Cable right now.

In reply to Hank, do other receivers come with the option for DVI?

12. John S

John S Producer

Some of them do have DVI indeed....

Mine dose snto have DVI either, and neither does myy TV...

The 1080i looks awesome, and the real DD sound is great too.

Bring on that Super Bowl in HD!!!!!

PS: Tonight for the first time in history, the State Of The Union Address is sposed to be in HD....

13. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

The Samsung 351 has DVI. Last Saturday I got an open box special on this for $300. I'm most interested in its VGA (RGB) output though. My projector has RGBHV in, not DVI. I'm looking forward to having the electrician come and install an attic antenna (new house, no antenna at all yet) so I can try this guy out.

14. DuWayne

DuWayne Stunt Coordinator

DirecTV WILL start broadcasting HDTV Local over SAT, starting with the SuperBowl.

All CBS-HD content and 2 weeks later all FOX-HD content.

You can read about it on their website here...

15. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Only a very small number of DirecTV customers will have access to the CBS-HD and Fox-ED feeds, only where the local affiliate is owned-and-operated by the network. The majority will be denied access and must receive it locally with an antenna.