HDTV receiver question. I am new...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by todd stone, May 2, 2005.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

I have a 36" Sony wega tv that is HDTV ready.

I assume all I need is to go into best buy and pick up an HDTV receiver?? Do I need to call Comcast and have them do something as well?

Any help with this is appreciated especially which brand from best buy to get and how much you think i will be spending.

I also use ps2 and xbox.

2. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

If you use comcast cable, you need to call them and have thm deliver an HD box (and DVR while they're at it). You will need to subscribe to digital service and may also pay an additional fee for the box. Ask them about the pricing, and ask if they can give you any credits for agreeing to the expanded service. You might drop DirecTV's name along the way. You should be able to get some free programming at least.

Another option is buying an HD box. Most run about $100-200. You will then be able to use an antenna (if you live close enough to your local network signals) to pick up the networks' HD feed. Obviously, you will not get ESPN HD or any of the non-network over-the-air signals. Plug your address into www.antennaweb.org to see what OTA signals are available in your area.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

There are three basic ways to get HDTV. OTA, Cable, and Satelite.

OTA (over-the-air) can give you local channels including most networks (ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, PBS, UPN, WB). Sports (football) OTA looks incredible. This is the absolute best quality picture you can get. All you need is an antenna and a reciever, there are no monthly fees. Check www.antennaweb.com for what you may recieve. If you're close to a major city you can probably get all the locals perfectly. Register at www.titantv.com to see what's on.

Cable and Satellite are also available. Most of your locals are usually available. Your locals are often re-compressed so they won't have as high a bandwidth as OTA. I don't know much about them, because I'm an OTA kind of guy for HDTV. You can get movie channels, ESPN, Discovery (OTA PBS leaves me not missing discovery HD the least bit), others.

Here at the HTF we're more DVD devoted, take a poke around on the HDTV forums at www.avsforum.com also.

4. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

hmmm I have a HDTV ready and DVR box from Comcast and I have digital. What else do I need to view in HDTV?

5. John S

John S Producer

Comcast will install an HD digital Cable unit. I think it's even free or maybe $5 a month more or something like that. Our comcast in the denver area scrambles their digital cable, so QAM tuners don't work to get it.

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

An HDTV cable package + An HDTV capable cable box/DVR (both available from Comcast)

For free HDTV: A set-top HD Tuner, and a HDTV capable antenna, usually roof mounted.

7. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

HD is broadcast in VHF and/or UHF bands, usually UHF. There is no magic HD antenna, even though some product promotion makes it sound like there is. (I don't know if Garrett was recommending a special HD antenna, or by HD capable just meant a UHF/VHF antenna, but wanted to clarify.) [​IMG] Depending on how close you are to the signal, rabbit ears may suffice. They do for me. Heck, even a coat hangar would work if you were close enough.

8. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

thats why I said a "capable antenna" and not the elusive HD antenna (usually made of Mpongi wood)