HDTV Ready?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Griffith, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

What does that mean I would need in the folowing areas to see HD.

Dish Network

and

Component Video capable DVD Player (waiting to upgrade once Blue Laser thingies come out)

2. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Bill,

Im not sure I understand your question....

HD material is available from over-the-air (OTA), Dish, DirecTV, and SOME cable companies.

DVD is not HD. And HD-DVD may not be a reality for a long time, due to this DVI/HDCP crap...

-Ryan

3. Bill Griffith

I was just curiose if I get Dish Network is there something special I should ask for with the receiver to get the best picture out of my HDTV Ready TV. Some sort of adapter or something.
    Component Video is the best I can get out of my DVD Player and as for DVI or HD-DVD, Once they've been out for a couple of years then I might upgrade but I'm not that much of a video nut yet.[​IMG]

4. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

If you are not purchasing the dish 6000 receiver, you will not be getting HDTV from dishnetwork as that is the only receiver that will allow you to receive HDTV from Dish. If you dont have an STB (OTA type decoder,you will not be getting OTA HDTV either. If you have a dish 6000, you just need good quality component cables to get good HDTV. No dish 6000, no Dish HDTV!

5. Bill Griffith

hmmmmmm I wonder how much the dish 6000 costs?

6. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Somehwere around $500 right now, which is why I don't have one yet. In 6 mos to a yr when the newer HDTV PVR comes out and some other Dish stuff, the price will drop and when I feel it is reasonable and can get a good deal, I will get one myself.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is that you will need a dish that can receive Sat 61.5. MOst likely that means you will need 2 Dishes on top of your house. I am having my 2nd one installed (everything for free) next week becasue there are 2 local channels I currently can not get becasue they are on sat 61.5 (along with the HDTV channels) and since I already pay for my locals, they MUST provide me with the locals I pay for, so they giving me everything free :)