HDTV Ready vs Built-in Tuner.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by kumar, Dec 11, 2003.

1. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

I understand (I think), the technical difference between HDTV Monitor and the one with the tuner built in.
    The $$$ difference between these two are between 250 to 500 USD.

My local cable( TWarner)says, that they will give a free upgrade of HD Box and replace my Digital Cable Box.
    If that is the case, can I just buy a HDTV Monitor and have my HD cable box decode the HD Transmission for my monitor? Do I lose anything else by not buying a tuner built-in TV?

If I can afford the extra bucks, do you people recommend to go for the one with built-in Tuner?

2. John S

John S Producer

They are over-the-air tuners only.

Only you can decide how important that may be to you.

But external tuners can be had these days for a couple of hundred bucks, so I just don't think it matters much either way.

3. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

John, thanks.
    Does that mean that if I buy a HDTV Monitor and go with the TimeWarner option of upgrading to a HD Tuner Cable Box, I still cannot get the HD Transmission effect on my TV? Do I need to buy with the built-in tuner or a separate tuner?

4. John S

John S Producer

The cable companies supply all needed hardware, to make that work on HDTV ready TV's and HDTV monitors.

Mine is scheduled to be installed next week by the way.
    I went ahead and bought a tuner anyways, I figure that give me two sources for HDTV to sort of check to make sure the cable company is providing what they promise.

5. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

Cool so, to summarize

HDTV MONITOR + HD CABLE BOX = HDTV WITH BUILTIN TUNER

6. John S

John S Producer

No, not really.. The HD Cable box only works with cable which is different than OTA broadcast HDTV.

But it does equal, you get everything that cable can offer, HDTV wise.

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Kumar,

HDTV Monitor + HD Cable Box = HDTV with Built in Tuner only for local channels. Your cable company also should offer several HD channels that the sets with built in tuners cannot receive since they only work with antennas and therefore will only tune local broadcast channels.

This varies by cable company, but examples of channels you may be able to get with the monitor plus HD cable box are:

HBO HD
    Showtime HD
    ESPN HD
    Discovery HD
    INHD 1&2
    HDNet
    HDNet movies
    Starz HD
    Cinemax HD

The above list is probably incomplete, and not all cable systems offer all these channels and some of them are extra cost, but none of them are available over the air so you could not get them using just a set with built in tuner.

Bottom line is that an HD monitor with cable or satellite HD box will get you more HD content than a set with built in tuner and no cable or satellite box. Since the built in tuners don't work with HD cable signals, you would also not be able to use it with your current cable system but instead would have to erect an antenna.