HDTV Ready RPTV in the $2000 range?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent_N, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Brent_N

Brent_N Stunt Coordinator

I am in the process of planning for an entertainment room in our basement. What HDTV ready RPTVs would you recommend in the $2000 range (don't laugh, this is really about all I can justify spending)? My local Sears does the Internet price match, so that should help some.
    I figure the best thing for me is not to pay the premium for a 16:9 set, just get the largest quality 4:3 set I can afford.
    As mentioned in previous posts, the RPTV will be built flush into the wall. My plan is to build custom wall-colored panels that can be put in place to mask out the upper and lower portion of the screen when watching 16:9 programming. Effectively, I will get the cutom wide-screen look without the wide-screen price, plus I can watch 4:3 programming in a larger size.
    So what brand/model should I be considering?
    Thanks,
    Brent

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

There's nothing to laugh about, $2K is still a fair chunk of change and you want to make sure you get the most you can out of it. I know I feel the same way.
    I'm assuming you are looking for a 16:9 set? Take a look at the Toshiba 42H81 and 50H81 sets. The 50H81 might be a stretch for $2K, but deals can be found and I think the Toshibas are an excellent value. Also, Panasonic makes a 47" 16:9 that alot of people think is a good bang for the buck. And Mitsubishi also makes a 46" set, the WT46809, I believe.
    Good luck,
    ------------------
    Dan

3. Brent_N

Brent_N Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the information, Dan.
    Actually, though, right now I am considering a 4:3 set per the reasons I site in my original post above.
    -Brent

4. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

my favorite is Sony's 43" 4:3 HDready RPTV- 43HT20. great picture on 4:3 material, anamorphic squeeze for dvd and hd. Saw this set at my local sears for $2199.
    also look at the new Toshiba 43" 4:3 set. 43HX71. also does the squeeze for dvd and hd. I've seen it advertised for $1899. Haven't seen this one in person yet so I don't know how it compares to the Sony.
    good luck.
    ------------------
    zaphod
    end of transmission...

5. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

just ordered last years tosh 40H80 for $1494 at onecall.com

6. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

7. Greg Wolff

Greg Wolff Auditioning

Brent, I just purchased a Sony 43HT20 from Sears. They informed me that this model has been discontinued. I was in the same situation. I wanted a 4:3 screen and Sony had it. Look on Sears' website. They have it listed at $1399 (if available). I talked to a manager at a local store and he sold me the floor model for $980. I got the 3 year warranty for an additional $279. The set was in great shape and all the picture settings had been properly set (no torch mode). The set did not have any burn-in and he had an HDTV signal running to it. The picture looked great. I loaded it up, brought it home and the picture looks great. I've got digital cable (no HDTV yet). I'm going to use my VE dvd to calibrate it, but otherwise I'm very happy. If the TV dies within the 3 years sears said they'd refund my purchase price toward another/new model. I'm happy. Greg

8. Robert_Powers

I bought a 4:3 Akai(PTH5498) 54" HDTV Ready from Sam's Club almost 4 months ago for $1299 and it's great.Had it calibrated the second month I had it and it's the best investment into my hometheater.I highly recommend them and plus it's all Samsung guts in the inside.Akai is doing great with their TV's, their DVD players however stink.