HDTV ready RPTV combined with high def. box from TWC - will that get me true HDTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sheldon C, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

I've done a search but couldn't find anything.

Here is my question. If I buy a RPTV that is capable of 1080i but does NOT have a built in tuner, will I be able to get the high definition channels that Time Warner Cable offers on their high def box, or is there something else that I need? TWC told me that the high def box is only another 8 dollars a month so my guess is that I either need to buy a built in high def tv or I will have to buy something else besides the high def cable box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I plan to buy very soon.

Thanks!

2. HankM

HankM Second Unit

If you have an HD RPTV that can display 1080i than all you will need is TWC HD box. The box outputs composite video, s-video and component video. I have a Mitsubishi 46805 and I have TWC HD. The only channels I get are HBO & SHOWTIME HD. The box can upconvert regular cable but the picture isn't great. The true HD channels are fantastic. HBO HD shows everything at 1.78:1 while Showtime HD shows everything in its OAR. The Dolby Digital sound is great. I watched Cast Away not long ago and it looked better than my DVD.

3. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Thanks Hank. By the way, have you noticed that TWC will be broadcasting both Fox and ABC sometime "soon"? I wonder if that means that Fox football games might be in HD!!![​IMG]

4. HankM

HankM Second Unit

That would be very cool. I can't wait for TW in my area to add more stations.

5. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

TWC in San Diego has hbo sho and pds in HD. local channels in HD would be great.

With the HD box and component cables all the non HD channels are window boxed. HBO HD is 178:1. the problem is sho HD is letterboxed inside a windowbox.