What's new

HDTV Questions about aspect ratio (1 Viewer)

David Yu

Auditioning
Hi all,
I had a quick question. My friend recently purchased an Mitsubishi HDTV and of course it's aspect ratio is 16:9. When he plays 2.35:1 ratio movies, the black bars are still at the top and bottom. Of course he can expand the picture to cover the whole screen but this appears to crop some of the picture from both sides. Is this normal with widescreen tvs? Any suggestions? I thought I would be totally blown away with his set, but I'm wondering now with the black bars. Thanks!
David

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
16 by 9 is 1.78:1 aspect ratio. You were showing a 2.35:1 aspect ration movie on it. Of course you had black bars but they were smaller than when watching the same DVD on a 4x3 set.
-Robert

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
On the four forums I frequent, I think this question has been asked nine times in two days. I'm not ribbing the guy, I'm just amazed at how often it is asked and how folks never realized that the DVD's they watch on their regular NTSC TV's have different aspect ratios.
My own sister, who has been educated and brainwashed by be
laugh.gif
with regards to 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 asked me the same question while at a mall store a few weeks ago.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman
[Edited last by Matt_Stevens on August 07, 2001 at 04:57 PM]

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
While not wanting to be too cruel ... sometimes they actually answer their own question within their own question.
Why do 16:9 sets have bars with 2.35:1 films?
Phrased another way:
Why do 1.78:1 sets have bars with 2.35:1 films?
Suddenly the answer is obvious and you just feel like rapping them on the side of the head?
laugh.gif

Doctor! Doctor! My head hurts when I hit it with a crow bar ... how do I make the pain stop?
biggrin.gif

Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator
There is only one ratio for High Definition Television, and that is 16x9.
If you are watching something else than a HDTV broadcast, then there are numerous other aspect ratios.
4:3 (standard television) equates to 12 x 9
HDTV equates to 16 x 9
1.85 movies equate to 16 x 8.7
2.35 movies equate to 16 x 6.8

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks