HDTV Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottH, Feb 21, 2001.

1. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I'm wondering exactly what I need to receive a HDTV signal. I already have a HDTV READY TV (Elite PRO-710HD). I currently have a non-HDTV receiver and dish (Directv - no OTA antenna). For me to receive HDTV, do I just need one of the HDTV Directv receivers and the eliptical dish? Would I still need an OTA antenna to receive the HDTV signal for my locals or can I get that through satellite? (I'm in the Baltimore market.) Would I be better off getting an OTA antenna even if I can receive the HDTV signal through the dish? Appreciate any input!
    Scott

2. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

I'm also curious about this!
    I know nothing about HDTV, other than I don't have it. Any Atlantans have suggestions on OTA HD?
    ~~Nathan

3. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

Hi Scott, I'm currently watching HDTV on my Elite 710. I have the RCA DTC-100 receiver with the eliptical dish and an OTA antenna.
    If you have a HDTV DirecTV receiver you'll get HBO-HD on channel 509 and a HDTV demo channel that switches to PPV at midnight on channel 199. You will NOT get any local HDTV from the satellite, you must put up an OTA antenna to get your local broadcast stations. Check www.titantv.com to see what your local digital stations are offering.
    Hope this helps,
    Bruce
    ------------------
    "Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic lifeform?"

4. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Bruce,
    Yes, that is very helpful, thank you. I have two more questions for you then. I once had an OTA antenna and got a fairly weak signal. What does that mean for HDTV? Does that mean I will have a weak HDTV signal or perhaps none at all (even if the signal is offered in my area)? Also, does that RCA receiver incorporate the OTA channels within the Directv menu? That is one thing that really annoyed me about going to the local channels.
    Thanks again!
    Scott

5. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

Most DTV channels are UHF, if all the channels in your area are UHF then you could get a good UHF only antenna. This should help in a fringe are, BUT, every location is different when it comes to OTA antenna setups. What works in one location may not in a different location. If there's already an antenna there then it's best to hook it up and see what happens. Maybe moving it around could help to dial in the stations better.
    The RCA does not incorporate the OTA channels with the DirecTV channels. You must switch between SAT and OTA using the 'input' button on the remote.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    "Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic lifeform?"