HDTV question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by John Roger, Sep 28, 2004.

1. John Roger

John Roger Stunt Coordinator

Since i am planning to buy an HD capable TV, i would like to know a few things.

1.Are there already HDTV channels?Is is available only in US?What i need to get these channels with HD resolution?

2.Are there HDTV resolution DVDs and players?I saw one playing in a local showroom but it didn't seem like a consumer product.

3.Why do HDTVs still use interlacing when progressive scan is supposed to give a better film like picture?The common high resolution of HDTV is 1080i.Though there is 780p and 1080p they are not supported by many HDTV units.
    Playing 1080i on a big screen like say 60" should make it look more normal TV doesn't it??

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Nope, normal TV is not even close to HDTV, interlaced or not.

3. John Roger

John Roger Stunt Coordinator

What i mean is that interlacing would be visible on a very large screen.Isn't it?Even on a 27" TV you can spot the difference between interlaced and progressive.

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I have a 56" screen that displays both 480i/p and 1080i. I sit about 7 ft. from the screen and can notice the difference between 480i and 480p, specifically the flicker and scanlines. In order to see the scanlines in 1080i, I have to get about 3-4 feet from the screen. I don't care who you are, nobody sits 3-4 feet from a 56" screen. Interlacing is no more visible on a large screen because you sit further back from a large screen than you would a small screen (although you can sit much closer to HD than you can to the same sized NTSC screen).