What's new

HDTV question (1 Viewer)

Mitcheizik

Agent
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. Great site. I have Direct tv and will be getting my HDTV in a couple of weeks. I was checking the Directtv program guide and noticed channel 79 HDNET has Hogans Heroes on. From what I konw ( not much) in order to get a progam in HD it has to be filmed with a HD camera. Well how can Hogans Heroes be in HD.

Thanks Mitch

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It can't be. A lot of the programming shown on HD channels is standard definition.

It's just like in the early days of color TV. Most of the programming was still in B&W.

M.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Things shot on film can be converted to HD; film usually has more than enough resolution. Obviously theatrical movies fall into this category. Many TV shows are also shot on film, but they are -- or have been -- converted to SD video for editing.

From what I gather on the 'net, Hogan's was shot on film, and they converting that to HD. Same with Charlie's Angels. Whether that involves redoing all the edits, I dunno.

//Ken

John S

Senior HTF Member
How do the networks get HDTV from film based material?

I would assume they have a special camera / projector that runs the film and outputs NTSC / HDTV????

I seen a movie on ABC last night in HDTV, man do I want my DVD's to look like that!!!!

Mark Olton

Auditioning
I'm sure someone can give you a more technical answer, but I'll just say that most of your DVD's are transferred from film based material. It's the same process with hdtv, except instead of 480i it's 1080i (or 720p).

I assume you're talking about Gladiator last night? Yah, that looked pretty nice. DD 5.1 sounded pretty nice too. I prefer my dvd's though since they have no commercials. :D

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

The same way most DVDs are made today: from a hi-def telecine film-to-video transfer. It can be downconverted to DVD resolution or used for HDTV broadcasts.

M.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mark and Michael....

I had always wondered.....

And yes while the commercials last night on Gladiator stunk, the video and sound was an A+ in my book. I'd give it a two thumbs up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks