HDTV Question, Just bought KDF-42WE655

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ScottBowler, Jan 3, 2005.

1. ScottBowler

ScottBowler Auditioning

Hi,

I just bought a Sony KDF-42WE655 on Friday, and don't quite understand why I'm not receiving any Digital Subchannels. I have the cable hooked up directly to the TV and not through a cable box, but am unable to tune in any Digital Subchannels during programs such as American Dreams and Law & Order: Criminal Intent when there is the "In HD Where Available" at the bottom.

I'm currently waiting for the Cable Card to be installed this coming Friday so I was hoping there was a way to get Digital Broadcasts in the meantime without buying an Indoor/Outdoor Antenna. At least Comcast makes it sound like there is a way to get HD broadcasts with a TV that has a built-in tuner. I'm just not figuring it out.

Any help, thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Comcast usually has the HD channels as separate channels, not subchannels. In my area (Boston) the HD channels are in the 800-899 range. Look on the Comcast site for your area to find the Comcast channel lineup. It should tell you what HD channels are available and what channel number they are assigned to.

3. ScottBowler

ScottBowler Auditioning

Thanks, that makes sense. I actually did what you suggested, first and cannot tune in the HD channels then. I went to 303, 304 and 305 (which are CBS, ABC and NBC). The TV said "no signal".

I guess I need to wait for the cable card afterall even though their website says otherwise.

4. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Comcast scrambles most signals, especially digital. Some people in other areas with other companies actually get PPV nd movie channel stations right from the tv. Just by plugging in the line. They are very surprised of course and pleased no doubt.

I has a digital cable ready set. Was able to pick up CBS HD, NBC HD, Fox HD, PBS HD, and thats about it without any box or Cable Card.

I also notice that while RF connected directly into the tv is still very good, I do prefer the Component/HDMI connects better for pic which is why I got a box and not CableCard. Plus, I like the On Screen Programming Guide and PVR functions.

Our Comcast offers an HDTV PVR (like HDTV Tivo). $10 a month. But, it's around $1000 still to buy a Tivo HDTV model, so I figured for a year or two this will be fine until Satellite HDTV PVR's and/or HDTV PVR stand alones come down to earth.

Cant live without PVR after using it. I love just coming home and having the choice of watching whatever. Also, the ability to record in HDTV is very nice.

All we need now are the On Demand channels. Those channels where you just pick what movie or show you want to watch. No having to wait for specific times. Our area doesnt offer this yet.

5. ScottBowler

ScottBowler Auditioning

Thanks for the info.

I just went and picked up the HDTV box from Comcast and am going to hook it up tonight. Are you saying the HDTV box is automatically enabled as a PVR? I have a stand alone DVR, but it's not HD. That would be cool if I could record in HD without an additional cost over the HD box. Or did I misunderstand?

One last wrinkle to work out though. They didn't have any component cables to go with the box, so they gave me DVI. I have HDMI on the TV. Does anyone recommend HDMI or Component over the other? If I should go with DVI I have to find an adapter on the way home, but Radio Shack doesn't seem to have anything. The only thing that Best Buy has is HDMI to DVI (I think the males and females are opposite of what I need).

Any suggestions???

Thanks,
    Scott