HDTV Question about signals

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Austin, May 17, 2001.

1. Bill Austin

Bill Austin Auditioning

Ok not sure if I have this right or not, looking for answers/suggestions/clarification.
    If I have a HDTV (ready) set - Toshiba 55hx70 btw, and have a good outside TV antenna (my rooftop has a clear good signal), not talking about dish or cable just straight old antenna on the roof, and I buy a HDTV decoder (if that is the right term) I can pull in the signal from the antenna, run it thru the decoder and receive programing (like tonight show and others that are even broadcast in HDTV) in the best pic possible format?
    Guess I just wanna make sure theres no "special" type of antenna necessary, and as for the actual box that would convert/decode/accept the HDTV signal what are my choices in terms of matching up with my Toshiba?
    I realize there aren't a lot of shows even airing with HDTV ability yet, but I just wanna understand what it's gonna take with my TV to even attempt the signals.
    And as for the decoder box to do it, what models are the most common and within a reasonable price range (say under $800 if possible).
    Lastly if there is a faq page that explains this - by all means just post the link and I will go read up, but I figured I would ask users here my probably simple goofy sounding direct questions and hopefully get a clearer thought of what I need to receive the signal in TRUE HDTV.
    Bill [​IMG]
    ------------------

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

For over the air digital signals that is all you would need, an antenna and HD set top box....If your local CBS affiliate is broadcasting digital, just about all CBS's primetime line up in in HD with other specials along the way..ABC has about 6 HD movies per month along with NYPD blue in HD...Although they have not officially announced anything definite yet, ABC did order their fall HD line up in HD....
    ------------------

3. Bill Austin

Bill Austin Auditioning

Ok sounds like I am on the right track of understanding then here with my question (antenna thru hdtvdecoder to HDTV ready TV).
    Can anyone point me in the direction of what to look for in terms of a decoder or are they all pretty similar? Also anywhere that sells them at really decent prices on the net vs retail?
    Lastly is there a better choice to match up with a Toshiba 55hx70 HDTV ready set?
    Thanks for all the help this forum is awesome,
    again if theres a specific faqs or website page that might tell me all about this aspect (which decoder to get etc) let me know and I won't bug you guys, but I just figure since most here are techies you might pass on the info from trial and error on the best features and or choices to save me some down the road grief of not getting one that does this or that etc.
    Bill [​IMG]
    ------------------

4. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

For the most part HD decoder stbs currently on the market are pretty similar...Toshiba makes one, model number dst3000...It will convert 720p broadcast from ABC to 1080i which is what your Toshiba accepts..Set top boxes will also upconvert standard 480i broadcasts to 1080i if you choose....Most of the set top boxes on the street now are also satellite receivers....The Toshiba and mits STB's for example will also receive direct TV if you choose to hook up a satellite dish...Dish network also has there own HD/Sat receiver stb, model is the dish 6000 which comes with a separate ota digital plug in tuner. All are excellent and would work well with your tosh set..With the dish system though you do have to subscribe and need the dish....
    ------------------

5. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

Mike I,
    wasn't one of the software upgrades supposed to make the Dish 6000 a standalone decoder? ie no subscription required?
    the whole issue of DirecTV being able to remotely shut off the HD output on every DirecTV box has completely turned me off on them.

6. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

The software upgrade for the dish 6000 to be a stand alone has not happened yet...I have the 6000 with it's ota module and it is an excellent decoder...With the direct tv decoders, I am not postive but I do not believe they can control OTA hd signals with their boxes...Satellite HD yes but to by knowledge not ota..
    ------------------

7. Bill Austin

Bill Austin Auditioning

I was lookin around the web and came across that dst3000 but I thought it was for direct tv ONLY, but heck if you can use it with a regular antenna etc I will definitly look into that one, anyone know where I can get a sweet deal on it price wise? B&M or online no difference to me.
    Bill [​IMG]
    ------------------

8. MickeS

MickeS Producer