HDTV quality

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Kennedy, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Auditioning

I have been HDTV capable since the super bowl and I am amazed at the difference in quality on HD broadcasts. The improvement on DVD's on my set (36xbr400) was dramatic and consistent, but hd is all over the place. The super bowl, and the dish demo channel are my benchmark as to what hd is supposed to look like. Yesterday, as an example, Right Stuff on HBO was about DVD quality and on the dark side; Dr Doolittle was better but was not a 'wow' versus DVD. However, "Haven" on CBS was absolutely stunning, the best movie I have seen on HD. Is everybody else seeing this difference or is it my set and how I have it set up?
    thanks
    Mike

2. Frank

Frank Stunt Coordinator

3. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

You have to remember, that the HD preview channels and the Superbowl was shot with HD equipment. Films and some shows still have to be mastered in HD before being broadcast. So this will always introduce some reduction in HD quality. Networks are not going to go through the same painstaking process of mastering a 30 minute show or even a full length movie for HD like some studios do for their DVD product.
    C. Ryan

4. Jim Ferguson

Jim Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

I watched "TRS" yesterday in HDTV, and it hasn't looked better as far as I'm concerned.