What's new

HDTV quality (1 Viewer)

Mike Kennedy

Auditioning
I have been HDTV capable since the super bowl and I am amazed at the difference in quality on HD broadcasts. The improvement on DVD's on my set (36xbr400) was dramatic and consistent, but hd is all over the place. The super bowl, and the dish demo channel are my benchmark as to what hd is supposed to look like. Yesterday, as an example, Right Stuff on HBO was about DVD quality and on the dark side; Dr Doolittle was better but was not a 'wow' versus DVD. However, "Haven" on CBS was absolutely stunning, the best movie I have seen on HD. Is everybody else seeing this difference or is it my set and how I have it set up?
thanks
Mike

Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Is everybody else seeing this difference or is it my set and how I have it set up?
There is indeed quite a variation in HDTV quality. Part of the problem is that HBO sometimes shows movies that are nothing more then upconverts and labels them as HDTV.
I also suspect that they sometimes use poor quality show prints for their source material, perhaps because that is all that is available.
I thought that 'Haven' looked fantastic also.
'The Right Stuff' actually looked much better then the DVD on my system, even though the DVD player is a computer so it's scaled and progressive scan.
I am watching on a huge screen from close up so quality variations are obvious.
------------------
Frank...
Turn off the TV and read these books those in power DON'T want you to read...

CRyan

Screenwriter
You have to remember, that the HD preview channels and the Superbowl was shot with HD equipment. Films and some shows still have to be mastered in HD before being broadcast. So this will always introduce some reduction in HD quality. Networks are not going to go through the same painstaking process of mastering a 30 minute show or even a full length movie for HD like some studios do for their DVD product.
C. Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks