What's new

HDTV, Progressive Scan, and Projection TVS (1 Viewer)

Pat_C

Agent
Does a progressive scan DVD player make a noticeable difference in picture quality on a HDTV rear projection screen TV? Or does the picture quality suffer because of the projection enough that it doesn't make a difference?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

This question makes no sense. The PQ improves if the set can handle the progressive, and higher resolutions (which is what HDTVs are for). Because it's projected is totally irrelevant.

Pat_C

Agent
Sorry for the senseless question -- I had a guy tell me it made no sense to buy a progressive scan DVD player because I wouldn't notice it with my rear projection TV.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
It is possible that a RPTV with great line doubling will do a better job than a cheap progressive scan DVD player. So in some specific set of circumstances the guy could be right.

But in the general case, he is wrong.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Does a progressive scan DVD player make a noticeable difference in picture quality on a HDTV rear projection screen TV?
This can't be answered with a simple yes or no. In general, it thought that a progressive scan dvd player is better, but it really depends on the HDTV and DVD player in question. Each HDTV has it's own built in deinterlacer, so all HD sets will upconvert 480i images to progressive scan, so a progressive scan dvd is not 100% necessary. It really depends on how good the deinterlacer in the HDTV is and how it well it performs the interlaced to progressive conversion.

For example, I myself have a Panasonic RP91 progressive scan player, and a Pioneer Elite 530 HDTV. The Elite has a better deinterlacer than the DVD player does, so in this case, the answer to your question would be no, because the TV does a better job of progressive scan than the player. I also have a Panasonic XP30 that uses the Faroudja deinterlacer, which is better than what's in my Elite HDTV. In this case, the answer to your question is yes, because the dvd player's progressive is better than the TV. As you can see, what's better depends on the quality of the deinterlacer in both the HDTV and the DVD player.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Greg's answer is better.

I'm stuck in the world of displays without deinterlacers, so i always forget they tend to come with them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks