What's new

HDTV Plus Dish 811 Questions (1 Viewer)

It's been a long time since I visited on this forum - although I have gotten allot of good information from the folks here. I hope this is the right spot for it.

I have had a Toshiba 57HX81 16.9 for some time and I have generally been happy with Dish. Tonight my wife and I decided we would like to have HDTV. I have been told a couple of things from Dish I would like to confirm. I also talked to a local Dish installer who told me to verify the following.

1. There is no longer a requirement for a Super dish replacement dish. The installer says that in our area (Oregon), we can get full benefit using our dish 500.

2. I have a SW64 switch using the two dual Legacy LMB's. The installer says he is not sure that the 811 receiver which I bought is backward compatible with both of these items. Dish tech support says they are fully compatible - so all I really need to do is have the 811 hooked up and the HD programming. Can someone confirm this?

I would like to get this system up with as little disruption as possible. Dish is replacing my standard receiver with the 811 and installing it for 149.00. Since I saw the 811 on the Dishnet web site for 399 as a stand alone - this sounds like a really good deal.

Comment - all appreciated.

Jeff Martin

Auditioning
Well how about that...my first post and it might be very-well informative.

The company I work for is a DishNetwork retailer. I work with the high-speed wireless internet we provide, however I have somewhat of a raw knowledge of the Dish811 since I own one.

If you have an SW64 switch, it will work fine with the 811 cause the switches convert it to DishPro Technology. New Dish 500's are equipped with DishPro Technology.

You're right, you don't need the SuperDish for the HD channels. They were on the 61.5 satellite, but are now located all on the 110. The SuperDish is only required if you're going to receive local channels.

When you do the 811 Upgrade, you commit to one year of the HD Pak @ $9.99 per month. In that package, you get DSCHD, ESPNHD, HDNET, HDNMV, and one HDPPV channel. If you subscribe to Showtime or HBO, you'll receive their HD channel. TNTHD was also added not long ago.

ESPNHD looks the best I think. I had a Toshiba 40H80 which was hooked by component video with a resolution of 480p, which was looked rather impressive. I just took that out and replaced it with a Hitachi 65SWX20B. WOW...talk about bigger. At any rate, the Hitachi is hooked up by DVI at 1080i and looks terrific. (I can set it at 720p, but I didn't think this RPTV was capable so I'll have to find that out.)

Hope I helped.

MikeLH

Auditioning
Gordon,

Did you get the 811 directly through DISH for the $149? I called them several months ago and the price was $399 for current subscribers. Maybe they have changed their pricing policy for current subscribers. Let us all know how you like the 811.

Thanks, Mike Hood

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
I got my 811 at $149 as a "long time" customer. I've been with Dish since October of 1999.

Also, the HD Pack now includes TNT-HD as well.

If your CBS is Owned & Operated by CBS, or your station has a waiver on file, and you subscribe to locals you are eligible for CBS-HD East (I think still from 61.5) and CBS-HD West (from 148). Both of these would require an additional dish.

Regards,

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Component cables for the HDTV.

I just got my HD811 rcvr from Dish and clicked on the 1080i function on the dish menu and all 3 colors are separated. 720p is fine. Also in HDTV mode, the regular component input display for 4x3 480p leaves a ragged small black border on the left and right of the screen.
SVS is fine on an alternate input.
Does this mean I need a calibration, and if I do should I try to eliminate the small black border in 480p mode?

I have the Hitachi 61sdx01b which is 1080i.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Component cables for the HDTV.

I just got my HD811 rcvr from Dish and clicked on the 1080i function on the dish menu and all 3 colors are separated. 720p is fine. Also in HDTV mode, the regular component input display for 4x3 480p leaves a ragged small black border on the left and right of the screen.
SVS is fine on an alternate input.
Does this mean I need a calibration, and if I do should I try to eliminate the small black border in 480p mode?

I have the Hitachi 61sdx01b which is 1080i.

StephenHa

Second Unit
I had problems with picture quality with the81 and component video on a lcd rear projection, I switched over to dvi and the problem was fixed

StephenHa

Second Unit
I had problems with picture quality with the81 and component video on a lcd rear projection, I switched over to dvi and the problem was fixed

MikeLH

Auditioning
Gordon,

I'm not sure that my reply got to you so I'll send this just in case the other one did not get there. Thanks for responding by the way. Our neighbors gave us some DISH gift certificates for last Xmas to use towards getting an 811 and we just sent them in so we can use them for either a PVR or the 811. It sounds as if a lot of the 811 problems have been resolved and I think that is the way we'll go. If the price is now $149, that is great and makes sense to do it with the "restrictions" that you listed. I saw on the post that someone else had a LCD projection and needed to use the DVI connection for the best picture so I guess if we order it, then I'll have to run to FRY's and pick up a DVI cable. Thnaks again for the input.

Mike

MikeLH

Auditioning
Gordon,

I'm not sure that my reply got to you so I'll send this just in case the other one did not get there. Thanks for responding by the way. Our neighbors gave us some DISH gift certificates for last Xmas to use towards getting an 811 and we just sent them in so we can use them for either a PVR or the 811. It sounds as if a lot of the 811 problems have been resolved and I think that is the way we'll go. If the price is now $149, that is great and makes sense to do it with the "restrictions" that you listed. I saw on the post that someone else had a LCD projection and needed to use the DVI connection for the best picture so I guess if we order it, then I'll have to run to FRY's and pick up a DVI cable. Thnaks again for the input.

Mike

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
While I have come up on the list for a 811 for $149, I am by-passing the offer from Dish. Dish does not yet offer locals in HD and the Olympics are coming.

Two weeks ago a neighbor got his first Dish install: a 811 and a PVR. Last Saturday, more Dish people were out installing a second dish. I asked the techs what was up and they told me that CBS is now available in HD from Dish. I've not had a chance to confirm or deny this, but from California - it seemed to take 2 dishes to get this.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
While I have come up on the list for a 811 for $149, I am by-passing the offer from Dish. Dish does not yet offer locals in HD and the Olympics are coming.

Two weeks ago a neighbor got his first Dish install: a 811 and a PVR. Last Saturday, more Dish people were out installing a second dish. I asked the techs what was up and they told me that CBS is now available in HD from Dish. I've not had a chance to confirm or deny this, but from California - it seemed to take 2 dishes to get this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks