HDTV/Plasma/Other options

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Nataraj, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Nataraj

Nataraj Auditioning

Jul 22, 2003
    I am in the process of upgrading my 27" TV to something bigger and make my HT environment a little better.
    My budget is somewhere in the region of $3000 to $3500.

What are the options I have in terms of best value for money..?

* HDTVs..What models?

* Plasma ..

* DLPs..

* Projectors and screen..if so, what projector and screen would fit into my budget..? What else would I need..? A tuner..?

I have a large basement area where I can set these up..so lighting might not be a big issue.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB Second Unit

Jan 28, 2001
    G. Alan Brown

If you end up with anything other than a projector and screen this resource will help with your viewing environment considerations: www.cinemaquestinc.com . There is additional information on this topic featured on the 'Video Essentials' and 'Avia Guide to Home Theater' DVDs plus the new 'Digital Video Essentials' D-Theater HD VHS.

Your budget is pretty restrictive. To get up and running with HDTV programming from the start, you would be limited to spending as little as possible on the display. You will get the largest screen and best image for the least money by going with a CRT RPTV. Do not get one with an integrated HD tuner in it. The technology is still evolving and an outboard set top box is the wisest choice.

There are pros and cons with each brand and model. Screen size may be your biggest priority. You have not told us hardly anything about what you have, want, consider most important or how you plan to use the system. What is the dominant type of TV viewing you prefer? Do you have HD cable and/or local digital broadcasts in your area? Will you have the resources to add upgrades in the short term or will you have to live with what you get with your current budget for an extended period of time? Give us a more complete picture of your intended system and lifestyle.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
    G. Alan Brown, President
    CinemaQuest, Inc.

Insist on HDTV![​IMG]