HDTV / Plasma / etc TVs

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Nataraj, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Nataraj

Nataraj Auditioning

Hi...

This is in continuation of another thread I had started some time ago. Thanks to all who responded. So now that I know, I possibly cannot expect a good home theater with a $3000.00, I have decided to change my display first for the same budget as I feel, the speakers and receivers I have are decent.

From the sounds of it, a good projector and a screen will exceed my budget..right? So If I am going to upgrade my 27" TV, what should I be looking at?
    What is your advice on Plasma TVs? Is it worth the money..? There are some

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Nataraj there are some front projectors available for

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

RPTV would be the way i'd go, unless you could get a great bargain on a projector and make yourself a screen. A lot of RPTVS now are starting to come with an HDTV tuner, which is a needed addition of course. If you want to go all out and are ready for a project(and want a projector), a used CRT projector is the best bargain(arguably the best picture too), but not for someone wanting plug-n-play type ease.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moving to displays

5. Nataraj

Nataraj Auditioning

Thanks for the resonses.

I kind of found a good price on a Hitachi HDTV - 57T500...And I liked the TV. It is a 57" TV with no in-built digital tuner. I kind of narrowed down on this (was more inclined to go with a Sony 57")mainly because of the fact that it can be split into two pieces & can be moved easily to the basement which is where my HT is.

Any feedbacks (good and bad) on Hitachi?

Thanks,
    Ganpy.

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    FYI, there have been many members here that have built themselves nice HT's with that kind of budget based on front projection. You will hear recommendations from used crt to digital (lcd and dlp). Off the top of my head, the Panasonic L300U (popular lcd pj), Sany Z1, Infocus X1, Sony HS10 are just 4 models that are worth investigating. Keep in mind that the Sony HS10 has a longer "throw" than the other projectors so you will need enough space in your room (front to back) to mount it. As for the screen, you could buy although many here have made their own as well.

7. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

I am in the same situation (and price range) as Nataraj. I had planned to go with a front projector, but after adding up the cost of the projector, the screen, a tuner, a scaler, the cables, the ceiling mount, etc., I decided that a RPTV was the way to go.

After researching RPTVs, and seeking the advice of others on this forum, I decided that the new Samsung DLP RPTVs are the way to go. They are at least worth a look before you make the RPTV plunge. Their picture seems much sharper than other RPTVs. But they currently cost between $3,400 and $4,000. If I can make it that long, I will wait until the end of the year and see if the price drops around the holidays. Plus, the big retailers such as Circuit City, Best Buy, and The Good Guys usually offer special deals if you buy TVs during the holidays, like $250 gift certificates, a free DVD player, etc, making it a better deal.