HDTV Picture quality, Comcast cable vs. Direct TV

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Skip Hammerman, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Skip Hammerman

Is there a difference and what are the pros and cons.

Thank you for your comments!

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I haven't done any controlled comparisons, but just eyeballing it with HBO, I don't see any difference. There isn't any reason I can think of why they should be different given the same bandwith unless one or the other were adding some additional compression.

DJ

3. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

4. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I switched from Directv to cable....looks the same to me..my non-hd channels on cable look better than D*.

5. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I can't say this is true for every cable system, Brian, but when HD cable first became available in Albuquerque, I talked to alot of folks at Comcast(probably to the point of bugging some of them, but hey, I'm an HT nut [​IMG])and they assured me that no additional compression is used.

I have been very satisfied with the quality of picture, although some stuff is better than others due to production and equipment differences.

As for Skip's decision, which way to go is a tough call and it depends on the needs of the individual consumer. Right now the amount of HD channels available is pretty even, but if one or the other were to offer more content, I think that would be the deciding factor.

DJ