HDTV owners please help!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fred DeGrandis, Jul 17, 2001.

1. Fred DeGrandis

Fred DeGrandis Stunt Coordinator

I am finally going to upgrade from my 32in Wega to an HDTV.
    I am going to different stores today to view different sets. I have a budget of around 3000.00, and I dont really want to go above the 55 inches. It needs to be a widescreen, and If there is one you can recommend for less, then I can get a progressive scan player as well. Stores in my area are a local hifi place, Sears (might use because of the internet price matching if its still avalible), BestBuy, and Circuit City. Which sets should I look for? What kind of progressive scan player should look at as well? Any help would be great, and thanks for your time.
    Thanks again, Fred
    Also, I watch about 50% movies, and 50% Direct TV.
    [Edited last by Fred DeGrandis on July 17, 2001 at 02:54 AM]

2. Marque D

Marque D Stunt Coordinator

If you want to go with a direct-view set, then may I suggest the Sampo SME-34WHD5? It may be hard to find at a store. But maybe a High-end HT store or a place like Fry's would have one. It can easily be found over the Internet. Deal Mountain has it for around $2300. If you go to the AVS Forum and do a search (HDTV Hardware)you will find a # of recommendations.

3. Ryan Pream

Ryan Pream Stunt Coordinator

No one has it in stock yet but how about the new Toshiba 50H81 and a Panasonic RP91. You should be able to get them both for close to $3000.
    Ryan
    ------------------