HDTV OTA receiver suggestions?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DerekM, Jun 21, 2003.

1. DerekM

DerekM Agent

I've searched the archives, and am trying to decide between the Samsung Sir-T151, the Panasonic TU-DST52, and the Zenith HDV420.......they all seem to have the same features, but am wondering if one stands out in regards to performance/reliability? Are they all going to have the same picture quality? I've read a lot about the Sammy (which is going for about 225) and the Zenith (which costs a bit more), but am not able to find anything on the net about the Panasonic (which is the brand I'm partial to). Can anyone provide any information regarding this unit? Also, given the fact that I'm looking at purchasing a discontinued model (the Sir-t151), is there a reason that I should hold off on buying one of these units b/c of near-future product releases? Just trying to make an informed purchase. Thanks in advance for your responses, Derek.

2. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Derek,

If you can get the Samsung for $225, I would go for it. That is a great price. I paid $310 for mine from Amazon about 3 months ago (and that was a good deal then), and I am very happy with its performance. I consistently pick up all but two stations with no drop-outs, and with an indoor antenna. One station (Fox) puts out a weak signal so that hardly anyone gets their signal even with outdoor antennas. The other station is hit and miss. I have heard that the Zenith is moderately more sensitive than the Samsung, so I do wonder once in awhile if I would be able to pick up the hit and miss station more consistently if I had the Zenith. But so far, I would have to say the Samsung is well worth the $$$.

3. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

Derek,

I also have the Samsung 151 and haven't had any problems receiving all the stations here in Reno (even when the Fox affiliate was testing their transmitter). It looks and sounds great and for $225 it's a steal.

The only thing to consider is if you need DVI or Firewire outputs. The 151 only gives you component but there's a new model, the SIR-T351, that has DVI and the SIR-T165 gives both DVI and 1394.

Good luck,

adam