HDTV or Front Projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Daman, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Daman

Daman Second Unit

In which of these would i get a better picture? I am leaning towards front projectors because they are compact in size and i can also get larger images, im not very well versed in display devices so am looking for some advice here [​IMG] please help! In projectors i was looking at infocus x2 which is for 1000 bucks at projectionwarehouse.com , other option i have is InFocus ScreenPlay™ 4800 which is going for 1300 on crutchfield.. can anyone advice me on these please... also i want a widescreen image and donot want the black bars.. while the features for this model say
    "4:3 native aspect ratio (can also display widescreen 16:9 material)" .. what does this mean.. or is it possible to adjust the screen size so that the black bars are out of screen..? If you can pass me a good link to projectors info it would be great too.. thanks for all the help.. so many questions might sound dumb.. but then i guess i have to start somewhere.. and yes, i would be using this only for watching movies or tv,the room is semi dark.. if anyone has good suggestions for projectors in range of 1000-1300 i would really appreciate it, and also plz mention where i can buy it from along with the suggestion if possible. Thanks again!
    Daman

2. Daman

Daman Second Unit

In which of these would i get a better picture? I am leaning towards front projectors because they are compact in size and i can also get larger images, im not very well versed in display devices so am looking for some advice here [​IMG] please help! In projectors i was looking at infocus x2 which is for 1000 bucks at projectionwarehouse.com , other option i have is InFocus ScreenPlay™ 4800 which is going for 1300 on crutchfield.. can anyone advice me on these please... also i want a widescreen image and donot want the black bars.. while the features for this model say
    "4:3 native aspect ratio (can also display widescreen 16:9 material)" .. what does this mean.. or is it possible to adjust the screen size so that the black bars are out of screen..? If you can pass me a good link to projectors info it would be great too.. thanks for all the help.. so many questions might sound dumb.. but then i guess i have to start somewhere.. and yes, i would be using this only for watching movies or tv,the room is semi dark.. if anyone has good suggestions for projectors in range of 1000-1300 i would really appreciate it, and also plz mention where i can buy it from along with the suggestion if possible. Thanks again!
    Daman

3. Daman

Daman Second Unit

no one knows about this????

4. Daman

Daman Second Unit

no one knows about this????

5. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

Check out http://www.projectorcentral.com for lots of great info on projectors in general as well as specific models. This site will also answer your questions about native aspect ratio.

I know that the Infocus X1 has been very popular for HT applications, but I think the X2 was optimized for business use. You may want to look into that in more detail. Also, Infocus just released the Screenplay 4805, which has received many very good reviews over on avs forum. It's MSRP is $1500, and I don't know if you can find it for less.

6. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

Check out http://www.projectorcentral.com for lots of great info on projectors in general as well as specific models. This site will also answer your questions about native aspect ratio.

I know that the Infocus X1 has been very popular for HT applications, but I think the X2 was optimized for business use. You may want to look into that in more detail. Also, Infocus just released the Screenplay 4805, which has received many very good reviews over on avs forum. It's MSRP is $1500, and I don't know if you can find it for less.

7. Daman

Daman Second Unit

thanks a ton for the tip John, i also searched on htf and found a thread where it was posted that the x2 is optimised for business, so im looking into the x1 which is available for 900$ at CC and BBuy after 100$ mail in rebate, guess ill have to buy it before its discontinued. Would have gone for the 4805 but that kind of exceeds my budget [​IMG] thanks for the tip, appreciate it!

8. Daman

Daman Second Unit

thanks a ton for the tip John, i also searched on htf and found a thread where it was posted that the x2 is optimised for business, so im looking into the x1 which is available for 900$ at CC and BBuy after 100$ mail in rebate, guess ill have to buy it before its discontinued. Would have gone for the 4805 but that kind of exceeds my budget [​IMG] thanks for the tip, appreciate it!

9. GregAnderson

GregAnderson Extra

You may want to look at the BenQ 6100 and 6200, and there are a number of LCD choices (Sanyo Z1, Panny 300) that you may be able to find in this range.

10. GregAnderson

GregAnderson Extra

You may want to look at the BenQ 6100 and 6200, and there are a number of LCD choices (Sanyo Z1, Panny 300) that you may be able to find in this range.

11. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

If you don't want the, ahem, "black bars" you are either going to have to use some sort of masking, or get a widescreen pj. FYI.

12. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

If you don't want the, ahem, "black bars" you are either going to have to use some sort of masking, or get a widescreen pj. FYI.

13. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    FYI- Dell Had the X1 for $899 before the $100 rebate w/free shipping...[​IMG] Got mine there...

14. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    FYI- Dell Had the X1 for $899 before the $100 rebate w/free shipping...[​IMG] Got mine there...

15. Scott L

Scott L Producer

X1 and X2 are optimized for business are they not? Thought the Screenplay models are for HT use. Though I think there's a bigger difference between the X2 vs. SP 4805 than the X1 vs. SP 4800.

I'd go for the Screenplay 4805, 4x color wheel and excellent user reviews so far.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...m?part_id=2362

16. Scott L

Scott L Producer

X1 and X2 are optimized for business are they not? Thought the Screenplay models are for HT use. Though I think there's a bigger difference between the X2 vs. SP 4805 than the X1 vs. SP 4800.

I'd go for the Screenplay 4805, 4x color wheel and excellent user reviews so far.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...m?part_id=2362

17. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Scott, from what ive heard the X2 is mainly for business, many of the guys have been using X1 for hometheater and very satisfied with the results. Check this thread
    X1 link Todd.. couldnt find the X1 for 899 before the 100$ rebate, the website now says its 999$ before the 100$ rebate, guess you got lucky there [​IMG] ill buy it from circuit city over the weekend because i cant bear the wait of it being shipped [​IMG]

18. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Scott, from what ive heard the X2 is mainly for business, many of the guys have been using X1 for hometheater and very satisfied with the results. Check this thread
    X1 link Todd.. couldnt find the X1 for 899 before the 100$ rebate, the website now says its 999$ before the 100$ rebate, guess you got lucky there [​IMG] ill buy it from circuit city over the weekend because i cant bear the wait of it being shipped [​IMG]

19. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Also can anyone tell me a good source for the Screens for the projector?? Should i be looking at a high gain screen for this one? My room has lot of light coming in from blinds

20. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Also can anyone tell me a good source for the Screens for the projector?? Should i be looking at a high gain screen for this one? My room has lot of light coming in from blinds