HDTV or 36" Analog TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Johnson, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Auditioning

Ive been reading this forum for awhile, but havent posted anything. Just want to say thanks for all the valuable info [​IMG]
    Anyways my question is I have a family room that is about 11 from the TV. I have read that the optimal distance for 36 is I think 11 feet.
    My dilemma is that I dont wether to get a 32' HDTV Samsung or a 36' analog tv (looking at Sony,Toshiba) which will be in my price range...$1400.00
    Will the extra four inches make a big difference or should I go with the better picture (HDTV)
    Any suggestions will be appriciated. Right now Im leaning towards the HDTV because of my Xbox.

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Are you married to direct view? I only ask because the 47" Panny Rear Projection HDTV can be had for ~1400.

3. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Auditioning

No, But where my TV sets is only 47" W x 58" D x 24", Depth is what really a factor as when I look for a 36" analog it usually about a inche too long.

Ill check out that panasonic, but Im sure it wont fit.

Does a 36" make a big difference for the distance I will be watching? Or would it be best to get the last technology ir HDTV (samsung)?

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Always go for the better picture quality over screen real estate. At the price range you're considering, get the latest technology--not a big set that's NTSC-only.

6. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I hate to disagree with Jack Briggs, however, from 11 feet the larger picture will have much more impact than the HD capability on a 32 inch set. You can get a good 36 inch tube for $700 from SAMS Club, BJs, and other places as well.

If you were going to be sitting closer, a HD ready TV would be better to eliminate the horizontal scanning lines.

Arte

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Arthur, you're allowed to disagree with me sir! Mark needs more than one opinion. [​IMG]

8. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Auditioning

Thanks guys! More opinons is always good! Except for someone living in LA...Ya beat my Kings! j/k

Im really at a empasse deciding between a 36 analog and a 32'HDTV.