HDTV Olympics no sound?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Hakey, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Brian Hakey

Brian Hakey Extra

I am in Tacoma WA and am not getting any sound on the NBC feed for the Olympics in HDTV....anyone else having problems??

Brian

2. Marque D

Marque D Stunt Coordinator

I'm getting the Olympics in HDTV here in Dallas with Dolby Digital 5.1. The only problems I'm having is the occasional drop outs, both picture and audio.

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    What Marque said.

- Steve

4. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

I also get no sound on NBC out of Seattle, but I am getting it via HDNet. King5 must not have all their switches in the right positions [​IMG]
    edit: I just checked and the sound is back.

5. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    By the way, wasn't that mountain flyover to the tune of John Williams spectacular?

- Steve

6. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

16x9 and DD 5.1 w/OTA!!!!!!!

Olympics on NBC HDTV, it's FANTASTIC!! I may just have to buy some Dallas Mavericks merchandise to thank Mr. Mark Cuban since I don't have a Dish for HDNET.

7. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    Another mountain flyover...I'm about to wet myself. Although it looks like they cut a portion of the bison bit. Grrrr......

Who are the narrators? Peter Coyote and Glenn Close?

- Steve

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

How does that speed skating track look in HD? Drooooool

9. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

I don't even have HDTV but I do have a Mitsubishi 60 inch tv and the picture is as clar as possible! I don't know what you all mean by no sound because in Maryland It comes in 5.1 beautifully.

10. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

11. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

Steve,

I saw the pre-dress rehearsal in SLC in person. Now that was realism. Dang cold though.

12. Mark_HD

Mark_HD Extra

we're A-OK in Chicago ... absolutely awsome opening ceremony.

13. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Screenwriter

My wife and I just watched the opening ceremonies (again) in high def. BEAUTIFUL! FANTASTIC! AWESOME!
    As the commentators said, this is as good as it can possibly get, short of being there!
    I am going to be spending WAY too much time in front of the big screen over the next 17 days! [​IMG]
    Mark

14. Steve_AA

Steve_AA Agent

Gorgeous picture from the Sacramento NBC feed, but sadly no 5.1 sound....just prologic on my reciever.

15. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

I read with envy. I want my HDTV!

Had to sit with my wife and watch most of it and even for one who doesn't care too much for the winter Olympics, this was impressive. As was the coverage of the first couple of events I saw.

Looks like this could be an awesome demo loop for HDTV sales.

16. George Fogel

George Fogel Agent

JUST WATCHED THE OPENING CEREMONIES AND THEY WERE ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR!!!!!! (And I will also spend waaay too much time watching the HDTV coverage...) I did experience minor drop-outs of both sound and video (watching in the Washington, DC area), but those were few and far between. Sound was in 5.1.

One positive side effect of the fact that so few people are watching in HDTV: NBC only had a second-string pair of announcers (saving Katie Couric and Bob Costas for the analog coverage) and they said relatively little. For once it was possible to watch the opening ceremonies without the constant blather of announcers who feel they have to fill every available minute with inane chatter. The arrival of the WTC flag was awesome....the crowd was quiet (you could hear the choppers above) AND NOT A SINGLE WORD FROM THE ANNOUNCERS!!!!!!

Here's a question: Does anyone know why the HDTV coverage is delayed by a day?

17. MarkDavidson

MarkDavidson Stunt Coordinator

Here in Houston the picture -- when NOT moving at high speeds, is certainly outstanding.

During high-speed (such as the long ski jump thing that was just on) when the camera pans too quickly or there is too much motion, I see all kinds of artifacting. When the motion stops, the picture stabalizes. Anyone else seeing this? The DD has stuttered and dropped several times.

I am getting the signal via Warner Cable (Houston) into their Deneral Instruments decoder.

Mark

Also -- enough with the opening ceremonies!! Let's get with the events already.

18. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

George,

Someone said that it is delayed because HD viewers don't count toward the networks ratings, so they didn't want anything to take viewers away and lower the neilson ratings.

Just got back from Park City and the Women's snowboarding comp. I'm a volunteer from 5-10 am. Lot's of fun seeing it in person. I'll be back up there Monday, Thursday, and Friday. No fun getting up a 2:45 though in order to be there on time for my shift.

19. Eric S M

Eric S M Agent

Well, since this seems like the offical HDTV Olympics drool thread, I'll add my mucous to the party!

The opening ceremonies were beautiful (watched on HDNET). Gotta love all those shades of blue on the ice. I watched the Germany v. Slovokia hockey game today; equally stunning. I just hope that poor guy who blocked the puck with his mouth is doing well.

I too have noticed some amount of pixelation or artifacting during motion. Still a huge *huge* improvement over the SD broadcast coming from NBC on DirecTV.

I did notice something interesting during the hockey game. The wide angle camera they had placed somewhere up in the nosebleed seats had what lookd like three dead pixels (or at least small dark spots) in the camera's CCD. I checked; the spots aren't on my TV and I haven't seem them with any other programming. Kind-of in a diagonal from the mid-left of the screen to the lower right. None of the other cameras showed these three spots. Ah, the beauty of HDTV - you can see everything!

-Eric

20. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The picture quality of the opening ceremonies and Nordic combined ski jumping were spectacular in HD. I only watched the first race in the 5000M speed skating (I had already seen it the day before on CBC), but it also looked incredible. Unfortunately, we are only getting DD2.0 sound here in Detroit, but it still sounds very good via DPLII.

Unfortunately, NBC seems to have scraped the bottom of the barrell in finding announcers for the HD broadcasts. Who were those clowns doing the opening ceremonies? I've heard better commentators on local cable access.