What's new

HDTV - Olympics, except for Friday Night?!? (1 Viewer)

Mark_HD

Grip
i just noticed on TitanTv.com that the Friday night opening ceremonies does not have the 'HD' next to it. every other time segment over the next week does.

is it possible that NBC would hype the Olympics and not broadcast Friday night in HD??? it would be the perfect opportunity to showcase high resolution since there will be a lot of stadium shots w/ athletes and flags shown from a distance ... ??

does anyone have info on this?

Mark_HD

Grip
thanks Mike I for the response! ... i'm into HD by only 3 weeks and feel like i have a lot of catching up to do.

re: HD Olympics, great marketing strategy ... NOT.

hype the Olympics in HDTV and then delay broadcast by 24hrs, does anyone think about the customer anymore?

if there is logic behind this, please enlighten me. i don't see it.

also, there is a digital broadcast on Friday night, does anyone know if it will have better resolution than NTSC?

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Mark.

I have been into HD for over two years and while it is very exciting to be on cutting edge technology or be an early adapter, there are also frustrations and quirks that go along with a new medium, but it is well worth it, because there is nothing better than watching a pristine HD picture..

Two years ago, It was a big deal to get a couple of hours a week of HD programming..Today you can get HD just about 24/7 and many times have to make a choice of which HD program to watch..It will get better with the new fall season, as I think NBC is really starting to come on board now...

From what I understand, the 24 hour delay issue with NBC has to do with ratings and advertising revenue...Right now Neilson does not rate Digital tv or HDTV viewing..That will be changing very soon....

If NBC does not reach a certain number in it's ratings on the Olympics, it will owe rebates to it's advertisers...I guess they feel the 24 hour delay will help the Neilson numbers because the HDTV viewers are not counted yet...

Again while not a great thing, It is a start...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks