HDTV now or worth waiting?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dwight Amato, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

I did not think I would be buying an HDTV for years to come, at the earliest. But with prices coming down, and my desire to watch DVD's at their highest possible picture quality has really got me thinking.
    As of now, I will only be watching DVD's and some standard TV on it. I will not be buying and HDTV tuner for some time.
    What would I get by waiting? If I buy a set now and only use 25% of it's capability, maybe I should wait until I can use it all. In the future, are the sets going to be much better and support 720P?
    FYI, I'm not leaning towards anything huge since I don't have the room for it. Looking in the 43" to 47" arena, no more. Thanks for any thoughts, advice and guidance.

2. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

I was on the fence like you until a month ago I said what the hell and bought the 47" Panny. I didn't stop there though because I also purchased the Toshiba DST-3000 HD tuner. As we speak I'm watching the Rangers/Twins in HD on HDnet and its awesome. I'm switching to CSI on CBS in 30 minutes! If you can recieve DTV/HD signal in your area its a no brainer IMO and I would budget extra money to buy your STB, antenna and Dish/DirecTV if you wish. If I was just buying the TV for DVDs, I would have probably waited. I would have like to get a DLP TV or maybe Plasma but it will be a while before they are below $2000 which is what I paid for my Panny! Good Luck! [​IMG]

3. tommy_esq

tommy_esq Stunt Coordinator

brian- where did you buy the dst3000 from? i've noticed the price has been falling of late. did you get it cheap?

4. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi ya folks,
    Once you see HD on your set in your home theater, you'd "regret" not doing it sooner. [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Errol
    ------------------
    Keohi HDTV
    Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

5. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

brian- where did you buy the dst3000 from? i've noticed the price has been falling of late. did you get it cheap?
    Tommy, I actually purchased it used here in the "Hardware Sale/Trade" section for the remarkable price of $400 shipped! [​IMG] I really like the program guide and the HD picture quality is excellent. It didn't handle Satellite/Cable Diplexed to well or it didn't upconvert Cable to 1080i well so I hooked Cable straight to the back of my set. The only time I use Cable in the front room is during heavy rain or to watch specific local programming! Good Luck!