What's new

HDTV not working w/ ATi AIW (1 Viewer)

John_DiVito

Auditioning
Hey all, hopefully you guys can shed more light on this problem that what I've seen on the internet.

Here is the setup:
-AMD system using an ATi All-in-Wonder 9700 Pro as its video card.
-Sony NON-widescreen(4:3) HDTV w/ DVI input as my monitor.
-I'm connecting the two using a Monster DVI cable straight from the AIW to the DVI input on the TV (component adapter didn't work either).

The TV supports all major resolutions (480i&p, 540p, 720p, 1080i). Since my TV is a 4:3 television, those modes should show up on my TV as letterboxed, which I wouldn't mind. The problem is, that the ATi control panel limits my resolution to 640x480. If I try to change the resolution to anything higher, I have to scroll my screen b/c the resolution is larger than my TV supports (supposedly).

So I downloaded Powerstrip to see if I could create a resolution, or force my video card to output a certain resolution. Still no luck. Powerstrip tells me that my monitor does not support anything over 640x480, which is very odd.

I'm hoping that somebody can give me some answers as to why this isn't working. I figured that if I had a 4:3 television, that resolutions like 1024x768 or 1280x1024 would be easy. Unfortunately this hasn't been the case. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
My understanding of HDTV's interfacing with computers is that most only support 640x480 and some up to 800x600 even using a VGA input on the TV is it is equipped so. So unfortunately I believe you are stuck. the other problem is that when interfacing with an HDTV even 480i/p is 480x720 so HDTV's use very odd resolutions compared to what a computer is used to outputing. For instance you would say you wanted to do 480p you would need to be able to have the card go into a 480x720 resolution at 60hz non interlaced to work correctly.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I am rather unfamiliar with the dVI connection for hooking a hdtv up to a computer, the only reason it wouldn't allow for higher resolutions is that your TV is telling the computer that it doesn't support higher resolutions. With the AIW9700pro I believe the component out allows for some higher resolutions which can be adjusted via the ATI control panel (it doesn't just output your desktop rez).

John_DiVito

Auditioning
Well, here was my problem with the component adapter. It would only output very strange resolutions and work correctly. Any normal resolution didn't work. So I couldn't play games because they all have specific resolutions that they work with. I figured the DVI connection would treat my TV as a monitor and let me do more normal resolutions... this hasn't been the case.

I'm hoping that somebody has some experience with this... I've been looking forward to this forever and it would crush my little heart to know that its not possible ;)

Thanks again for the posts.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Thanks sorry for that none the less it would have to support then 720x480 but either way I've never seen a card capable of such odd resolutions.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Most DVI output on PC is incompatible with DVI input on TVs-- same name, different interface.

You said your set "supports 480i&p, 540p, 720p, 1080i", and went on to say the component adapter would only allow "very strange resolutions"- could you be more specific?

Your TV has very specific res it will sync to.

-Vince

John_DiVito

Auditioning
Well, the TV does do all the HDTV resolutions that are available right now.

The component adapter would only display the entire screen at 1152x684 (last value not exact). I would use that resolutions, but most games don't support it. Resolutions like 1024x768, 1152x864, 1280x1024, or 1600x1200 are the most common with video games... None of those will work for me.

The DVI connection between the two works... its just that the resolutions are not compatible, which is what I was scared of. The only resolution that the two would agree on was 640x480. All the other resolutions, just like when using the component required me to scroll around to view the entire screen.

Greg_TSL

Stunt Coordinator
My experience with the ATI AIW 9700 pro as a PC to HDTV link was pretty miserable, and I've returned it for a more reasonably priced ATI Radeon 9700 (and staying with my monitor).
I could get 1080i working via component output on my set (ugly), but the games switched to their own modes, and usually appeared much larger than the TV screen.
I think its going to be up to the game developers to incorporate correct resolutions before PC-HDTV is a reliable way to go.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

To be fair, PC HDTV as HTPC (for DVD playback, HD tuning, video files, etc) is already a reliable way to go. The problem here is encorporating gaming- which is a whole different world. Until game companies include HD resolutions (why games have to bypass the dektop dettings in the first place I have never understood) you're stuck with computer monitors.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
games aren't hard at all, most if not all games have a configuration file that you can edit custom resolutions into. you have to do this to make the game play across multiple monitors or play in widescreen formats. games like half-life, quake, unreal all have this you just have to fiddle around to find out where it's at.

Users who are viewing this thread