HDTV Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MattQuinley, Aug 12, 2003.

1. MattQuinley

MattQuinley Auditioning

Hello all,

I'm looking into buying my first RP-HDTV, and some of what I've read here and on manufacturer sites is confusing and/or worrying me. Sorry if any of these questions are answered in other threads, but I haven't found them.

1. There's a lot of talk about how HD sets look very bad displaying a standard cable signal. Is this problem confined to cable, or do standard-definition DirecTV signals look bad as well?

2. How important is 720P support if you're not a gamer?

3. How can a Panasonic RPTV have 850 lines of horizontal resolution (per mfg specs) and support 1080i?

4. Can a decent 51-57" RPTV be had in the $1700-$2100 range? I know there are plenty of choices in that range, but are they any good?

Thanks in advance for any answers/advice/opinions.

-- Matt Quinley

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Welcome to the forum Matt.

As to your questions:

1.HD does not necessarily make SD look bad—but it does show SD exactly as it is, so you may see defects that you never noticed before. The larger the picture size, the more pronounced this effect. It is worst on signals that have been highly compressed—this varies from cable system to cable system and from channel to channel. Go down to a dealer and check out the channels you normally watch. I have direcTV and 30” and 34”, 16:9 displays and most of the ‘normal’ channels are acceptable to very good. Watching things like soccer or rugby on Fox World Sports can be a bit iffy.
    2.Not very, as most HD receivers will up-convert 720p to 1080i. Only ABC and ESPN telecast in 720p in any case (and in my area even ABC’s HD telecast is in 1080i). I’ve never seen 720p in native mode—the up-converted signals are quite good. But of course, if you can get 720p native, all the better.
    3.Actually most HD TVs that support 1080i don’t have 1,080 lines of resolution. The electronics support the standard, but the display won’t resolve that closely. I don’t think that any CRT direct view or plasma displays will resolve 1,080 lines of resolution. Some RPTVs will and I expect that more will in the future. If you can find a display that will resolve 1,080 lines, all the better.
    4.Depends on your definition of decent. I don’t know of any $2,000 RPTVs that have as good a picture as the better $4,000 displays. You pays your money and takes your choice.

3. Paul.Little

Paul.Little Stunt Coordinator

4. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit