HDTV newbie has questions, needs help (Mits 55819 and Samsung SIR-T150)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bruce White, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Bruce White

Bruce White Stunt Coordinator

I have a Mits 55819 and just bought a Samsung SIR-T150 (open box at BB). This is my first HD experience. From what I've seen--I love it!

Here are my questions:

1) Receiver--The Samsung has a menu that lets you tell it you have a 16:9 TV. Just below that, it asks how you want your 4:3 stuff displayed. I like mine stretched, so I chose the "Full" mode. However, there is still lots of stuff coming through in 4:3 with black bars on the sides. I even get some that have black bars on the sides, top, AND bottom! The Mits won't let me change display type in HD. I understand some stations actually broadcast the black bars, thus making the receiver and TV think it's 16:9 material. Are there any receivers that recognize this and allow the stretching? Would the switch on the back of the receiver be of any help? It allows one to specify 1080i, 720p, and 480p. If switched to 480p, would it then stretch to eliminate the black bars on the sides? Are there any receivers that allow this switching via the remote?

2) Antenna--the whole reason for buying the SIR-T150 receiver was price. I wanted to see if I could get HD with an indoor antenna. I went to antennaweb and found all my local stations listed as yellow or light green. They are all either at 241° or 244°. I'm only 11 miles from the towers with no major structures in the way. I had a cheap amplified antenna that's been dropped on the floor, so the rabbit ears are all bent up. It works, but not for all stations at the same time. I bought a Radio Shack amplified antenna that said it was for HDTV, but it didn't even seem to do as good a job as the one I had. Most antennas (antennae, for you purists [​IMG]) I've owned have knobs to adjust something in the reception. Are there any that do this automatically? Any suggestions on other antenna types? I've heard the Silver Sensor might work or something by JVC that they use at Best Buy. How about Terk? That's the one Solid Signals recommends, but I've read a lot of stuff badmouthing the Terks.

3) Remote--where can I get a remote for the SIR-T150? The open box receiver was sans remote and manual. Can stations be added via the remote? Anyone know a code for the Mits remote that will allow it to work with the Samsung? How about for an Integra remote?

That's all for now. Thanks in advance for any help!

Bruce

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    They probably make a hefty profit off of the Terks. Same as Best Buy pushing Monster cables. If your stations are all UHF, try the Radio Shack Double Bow Tie for $15.

-Robert

3. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

You could either try www.replacementremotes.com, or you could get one of the cheap JP1-capable OneForAll remotes (details at www.hifi-remote.com) that could be upgraded with the code via PC. Or get one of the more expensive universal remotes that allow importation of codes from various databases on the net (MX-500 w/ IRClone, MX-700, Harmony 659, Pronto).

4. Bruce White

I picked up a Silver Sensor and so far it seems to work extremely well.

Bruce

5. Eric Hahn

Eric Hahn Agent

does not the mits 55819 already hve an integrated hd tuner??

did you try that before buying the stb?

I have heard the silver sensor is the way to go for indoor ota.

6. Bruce White

Nope.

7. Eric Hahn

Eric Hahn Agent

sorry, I mis read, I thought it was 55813.

as for the bars issue you were having, can you send svideo out from the 150 to another input on the tv, and use the stretch modes to make that fit the screen?? but then you would have to switch inputs between hd and sd, just a thought.

not sure about the 150, I think I can on my hdv420, but i just leave it in 4:3 aspect ratio from my stb.