What's new

HDTV Newbie, can you answer my questions? (1 Viewer)

CoreyH

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Guys,
I recently purchased an HDTV ready TV, and have about a million questions. I will do my best to keep this post only to the most important issues though.

The TV: So I ended up at circuit City last Friday, not really looking to buy anything, but ended up in the TV section and noticed the new Sony 34XBR800 34" 16:9. I really wanted a 50"+ rptv, but because of the stairway up to my apartment, there is no way one can fit. (even the 42" tosh. didn't stand a chance). So, I wanted to get the biggest direct view I could find (38" RCA wasn't an option), and the Sony seemed to fit the bill. The fact that it was on sale, and I got the sales guy to throw in delivery for free, didn't hurt either. So, all in, my total was ~$1950 including tax. (I felt that was a good deal at the time, and I'm still pretty happy with it)

So, the TV is getting delivered this Saturday, and, after throwing together a quick TV Stand/Audio rack Flexi, I am anxiously awaiting its arrival.

Now for the multitude of questions:
1: I currently have a Sony non-progessive DVD player, and i just bought a component video cable. Should buying a progressive player be at the top of my upgrade list? Will I notice a substantial difference, even though my screen size is only 34"? Also, do any of you happen to remember a thread a while back relating to a Denon progressive player for around $200?

2: On a 34" screen, would it still be worth it to have my set ISF calibrated? Or is the difference only noticable for larger screens?

3: My local cable company (AT&T Boston) doesn't offer HD cannels. So my only option to get HD is OTA. Other than a STB, what else would I need to receive HDTV. I'm in an apartment, so putting up a dish or anttena are out of the question. Do I have any chance at receiveing any HDTV?

4: Because it is a direct view set, I don't think I need to worry about burn in. Is that correct?

5: I'm planning on calibrating with the S&V Home theater tune-up this weekend. Any important things I need to know before I get started?

Well, I think that's it for now. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions after the set arrives.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The main thrust of ISF on direct view sets is to get the grayscale / colours right.

If you don't care about having your TV display proper colours, then ISF calibration is not worth while.

Regards

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
1. Your existing DVD player will still give a pleasing picture even though it does not deliver progressive scan. I think the difference with a progressive scan player would be hard to see.
3. REceiving HDTV requires a good UHF grade antenna setup. This includes a reasonably good mounting location although not as critical as for dish systems. If your regular UHF viewing is clear I expect you won't have any problem with HDTV.
4. Direct views are also vulnerable to screen burn. First thing when you get it delivered, turn the contrast down to under one half. Try your darndest not to have to set it higher.
5. It is best to have the TV on for half an hour before doing calibration. If you are hiring a professional, do about 100 hours of viewing beforehand.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, the 100 viewing hours before a professional calibration would be appropriate for an RPTV. Dorect-view TVs can move directly to the front of the line.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks