HDTV movies on ABC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Anyone see Willy Wonka last night in HDTV? Good grief! When the shopkeeper starts singing "The Candyman Can" song, his shirt with thin stripes looked solid and marvelous, no hint of any moire patterns or blending of the stripes.

Then tonight, Any Given Sunday looks really good and it's better than the film print I saw a few years ago.

Just tremendous video quality on the HDTV side.

2. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Yeah, there have been some really good showings on ABC.

Willy Wonka looked good considering how old the print was. Some of the newer stuff looks stunning. Jingle All The Way looked amazing. Now if only my cable company would start carrying the HDTV movie channels...

3. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

4. Michael St. Clair

Unfortunately, our local ABC affiliate had some tech problems during Wonka last night. But I did flip to it a few times and when it looked good, it looked very good.

Since the original ran 100 minutes, I assume it was either edited and/or time compressed.

5. Aaron Whitaker

Aaron Whitaker Stunt Coordinator

I just got my STB yesterday and 'Any Given Sunday' was my first viewing of HD. I was blown away by the detail and the 5.1 sound rocked.

I do have one question. What is the source material for the movies on ABC? It looked a lot better than DVD. Do they upconvert or do they have HD tapes of the movies? I know the sitcoms are shot with HD cameras and so are the sports but what about the movies?

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Many DVDs are created from HD tape masters that are created from the film itself, and downconverted to 480p with MPEG2 encoding for DVD. So there are HD tape masters of films, and this is most probably the source for the films being broadcast on HDTV. This is why people are dying for the HD-DVD format to show up - because films will look this good on a HD-DVD if there is a HD master of it which can be used for the HD-DVD! HD-DVDs require much more disk space, though. The rest of the HD-DVD format discussion should go into the Software area.

But still, though cropped (Any Given Sunday), the picture quality is outstanding! It does make you wonder if films with 2.35:1 aspect ratios will all be cropped when broadcasted in HDTV in the foreseeable future. I hope not.

7. Michael St. Clair

Showtime HD does not crop 2.35:1 films. Every once in a while ABC does show a 2.35:1 film uncropped.

8. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

Yes, ABC is doing a great job. WSB in Atlanta, however, has some major problems. Patrick, have you noticed the tiling and "machine gun" audio yet from WSB? It's unfortunate because in my house we watch ABC's Sunday HD lineup every week, but more and more we're resorting to the DISH Network feed (in all its washed out, pixelated glory).

Best regards,
    ~~Nathan

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Nathan, sometimes ABC's HDTV audio drops out on me, but I think it's more dependent on the antenna getting a strong enough signal, but I've read about WSB's (ABC) HDTV having dropouts in the Atlanta area, and it does happen to me, but it's sporadic, not rythmic like some people have described.

10. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

Actually it's a source problem at WSB, rather than a receiving problem at our ends. Still, when they're good, they're very very good. Wonka looked incredible given its age and I commend WSB for flipping the switch. [​IMG]
    Best regards,
    ~~Nathan

11. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

12. Michael St. Clair

13. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

At least you have it. Most of us have to be satisfied with the slim pickings on HDTV OAR. Let me tell you, I was not happy with ABC's 3HR+ showing of Raiders- enough commercials and promos to choke a horse. It ruined the whole flow of the movie.

14. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer