What's new

HDTV Magazine (on the web) (1 Viewer)

Bill Austin

Auditioning
First off my intentions aren't to step on any toes of other clubs/groups/magazines/ezines etc... but I ran across this site that looked kinda cool and thought I would ask any of you if you know anything about it or belong to it, and basically if it was worth the cost to join (one time fee $35)
http://web-star.com/hdtvmagazine/menu.html
------------------

SteveE

Auditioning
Bill -
Funny you should ask this question. I recently joined the HDTV Magazine mailing list. I enjoy it and read it every day. While it is useful, it does have some limitations. A sample issue probably showed you the the most practical use of the service. Every morning I get an email message that tells me exactly what HDTV programs are available, and in what format, both video and audio. I do not know about you, but that information was very, very difficult for me to locate. Second, there are regular articles about HDTV, including some very interesting interviews. Finally, it asks as a forum, as this service does, sharing the views of its members - who, having commited $35, are a very dedicated group. I think this highlights one of the most important benefits of this service - it creates a critical mass of dedicated people and a "face" for contacts with industry groups and the government. As a Washington re[presenative for a large cellular company, I can't emphasize the importance of having someone represent your views in the government process, and the HDTV rollout is inextricably tied to the government. I thought of the $35 as a contribution to a group fighting for what I believe in - a better, faster rollout of HDTV - and thought of the program guide, articles and information as merely "gravy." There is also apparently a database of articles and information available to members, but to be honest, I haven't explored that benefit. The limitations, quite simply, are that this is apparently a one man show from a writing point of view, and there are days when there is no news, so you get little more than a program guide - which by itself is probably the most useful part of the magazine. For me, $35 is not a big deal, so I joined without much thought - and I am glad I did. If money is tight, or you have another dsource for the programing information, you might sit tight - but never underestimate the power of goups that represent your interest in meetings with industry or the government. Best/Steve Easley
------------------

Mike I

Supporting Actor
I have been a subscriber for over a year..Excellent information and you get a daily HD schedule waiting on your email every morning...Well worth the 35.00
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks