1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

HDTV is not impressive.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LaMarcus, Sep 19, 2002.

1. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Well at least from TWC it's not. I was all excited to get my broadcast from twc and hbo hd. And when it finally got here I say to myself..."this is it? This can't be what the HTF is talking about"

Everyone here who speaks about how outstanding and beautiful HDTV is must be getting it from a different source because what I'm seeing it not that great. I will admit that a cartoon on HBO HD looked pretty good it, it looked like a dvd or arguably better. But everything else I've seen....puh-lease.. And I won't even mention Showtime.

So let me ask....
    1.Does the HD on satellite look better than TWC HD?
    2.Does the HD content on a STB look better than TWC HD?
    3.Does the HD content on TWC vary depending on what's showing?

Help me out here....

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I think that most of us will have a hard time answering your question, LaMarcus. I for one don’t have Time_Warner cable (assuming that is correct) and even if I did, I don’t live in Dayton.

I get most of my HD, (Dallas/Fort Worth) from OTA telecasts and some from DirectTV. Pretty hard to know if what I see would meet your expectations or not, but I think its great.

3. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

Are you sure what you were watching was true HD and not a HBO 1080i upconvert?

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The HD broadcasts from TWC in Manhattan look quite good, but it depends on the source. Just because you receive an HD channel doesn't mean you're receiving an HD broadcast. Much of what is shown on HBO's and Showtime's channels is up-converted from plain old NTSC. It looks better, but it's not a knock-your-socks-off improvement.

Try listing the shows your watching. I sometimes watch The Tonight Show in HD, and the difference is night and day -- but that's a true HD broadcast.

Also, has your set been calibrated? HD modes need to be calibrated separately from the regular NTSC modes.

M.

5. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Well what came on today was Hocus Pocus. It was smoother than the analog broadcast that was about it. It was in widescreen (probably cropped). But when ever I watch anything not on the HD channel it's in 4:3. The HD broadcast are 16x9 that's how I know it's supposed to be HD.

What I watched that was really nice was a cartoon about the lost city of gold, I can't think of the name though. I looked good. That's all I saw that looked good. They played Red Planet, it looked like nothing special.

So this makes me think that it depends on what their showing, I believe that cartoon was the only thing in true HD....(I hope so)

6. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

The Road to El Dorado, was the name of the cartoon.

7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

I have TWC HD & the picture is AMAZING! I have a SONY 36XBR-450 hooked up to the box w/Monster 3 cables & the clarity & color is not to be believed. Maybe your cable system is not implementing it properly or something. How does Jay Leno or the PBS loop look on your set?

8. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I'm going to check out Leno tonight and see what it looks like....
    It really hurts my feelings to here you all say how beautiful it looks and I'm just setting on the sidelines imagining the possibilities...[​IMG]

9. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

So far I've only watched HDTV from OTA broadcasts (haven't yet hooked up my STB to my DirecTV system). I'm using a small Radio Shack bow tie antenna and the quality of the HD channels is amazing! Definitely check out Leno because the picture is exceptional. I watched the Miami vs. Florida football game broadcast in HDTV and it was so great. Makes it hard to watch the terrible quality that I get on Sunday for the NFL Sunday Ticket.

10. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

11. JerryLA

JerryLA Stunt Coordinator

I have Dish Network and most of the time the true HD is pretty darn good. There are occasions where there is a second or two of pixelation on HBOHD but I'm happy with it. The recent addition of HD Discoery Theatre is truly amazing. Makes it hard to go back and watch regular broadcasts.
    Jerry

12. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I watch OTA HD broadcasts also using a Rat Shack double bowtie and HBO HD, Showtime HD and HDNet from DirecTV and true HD broadcasts are amazing!

13. Michael St. Clair

14. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Man this sucks!! I guess the only way I'll be able to truly find out is to get a STB[​IMG] or go over someone's home who has it. I saw a piece of Leno tonight and Showtiime looked better so I know something is wrong.
    There was a show on Showtime today, a play it had Bruce Willis in it, it was HD it looked pretty damn good.
    But I thought HD would look better than DVD to me the B.Willis play was dvd quality. But am I right HD looks better than DVD right?

15. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Hey Michael I'm from Cincy, how bout I come over and check out a HD broadcast?[​IMG]

16. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

LeMarcus: Can you please describe the equipment you have and, precisely, how it is connected? Thanks. HD is revelatory. JB

17. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Well I have the twc hd box made by Pioneer. I'll get the exact model number when I get home. It's connected by component cables (of coarse). They provided the cables, their not monster (of coarse). My dvd player has monster components though.

My tv is a Samsung tantus Hclw65 65". My tv's hdtv capability is supposed to be exceptional according to reviews from Home theater mag. While the prog dvd output is supposed to be just "good" (on the 65" model compared to smaller Tosh's ,etc).
    TWC does not do dedicated lines from the pole. You only get one, so all my cable connections are split inside the house.

18. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I have to agree that there seems to be some question about how much true HD LaMarcus is watching and how well his set is calibrated. On my 100 inch screen (92 inch in 16:9 mode), the difference is DRAMATIC. Switching to an NTSC broadcast after tuning in to, say, HDNet makes me say "UGH!".

19. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

If there are any Las Vegas area members out there who have Cox Cable's recently unveiled HD service; what do you think? They are offering the CBS affiliate, the local PBS station, Discovery HD net, and 2 channels each of HBO and Showtime.

20. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I watched cat and dogs today on hbo hd and it looked really good, but it's dvd quality to me. When I messed with the settings for the calibration it made a slight difference. And I answered my own question today about does somethings broadcast better than others. Jewel of the Nile looked like crap!!!

How do you calibrate your set for cable broadcast? My VE dvd settings for my set will not work for regular tv, it way too dark. Prog scan makes everything really bright.