What's new

HDTV inventory rises to excess levels... Now is probably the time to get that HDTV (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
It might be getting close to the time to get a great deal on that HDTV you have been eying for this holiday. At least if it is LCD technology.

Global inventory of LCD HDTV panels is set to rise to its highest level in 19 months next month. This high level of inventory should contribute to a decline in prices in the second half of the year.

According to the IHS report entitled "LCD Industry Tracker - TV" from information and analytics provider IHS, the weeks of LCD TV inventory is set to increase to in August, up July and in June.

isup24.7.13a.jpg

Will a nice price reduction spur anyone to purchase another or new HDTV or would you not buy a new one regardless of the price?

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I'm not buying because I have a perfectly good 58" Sammy plasma and no room for anything larger. But if I were buying it would be another plasma, not LCD. LCD continues to improve, but so does plasma and all else being equal, plasma still looks better in both subjective and objective testing. I watch a lot of live sports, so fast motion artifacting alone makes LCD unacceptable to me.

I would not consider LCD unless I had a room with serious lighting issues that could not be reasonably controlled with window treatments.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Dan Driscoll said:
I'm not buying because I have a perfectly good 58" Sammy plasma and no room for anything larger. But if I were buying it would be another plasma, not LCD. LCD continues to improve, but so does plasma and all else being equal, plasma still looks better in both subjective and objective testing. I watch a lot of live sports, so fast motion artifacting alone makes LCD unacceptable to me.

I would not consider LCD unless I had a room with serious lighting issues that could not be reasonably controlled with window treatments.

I thought fast motion artifacting was one issue that had been solved, its still an issue with todays LCD panels?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Type A said:
I thought fast motion artifacting was one issue that had been solved, its still an issue with todays LCD panels?
It is "solved" by ruining every other aspect of the picture. Namely "soap-opera effect".And when you turn on "all the stuff attempting to smooth the picture" you can't....Play video games orRun audio through an AVR

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Oh wow. For some reason I thought LCD had caught up to other display technologies, at least in regard to motion and without side effects. My bad, thanks Sam.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yep, at least once a month we get..."I bought X LED TV and my audio is out of sync".Answer..."Turn off all the motion control stuff"Reply..."But the picture doesn't look so good"Or"But all that motion control is why I thought it 'was best'"Answer..."Return it for a plasma"Or"Return it for a TV that never needed that stuff in the first place, DLP or plasma"

nodixe

Auditioning
What about older tv's stock. It seams like the led-lcd the were better around 2010-2011? Brand new in box I think I'd rather buy a top tier 2011 model over 2013 (unless we're talking plasma which we ain't). Is it possible to find a good full array lg or sony from few years ago? What were the best models and do any new tvs have full array led backlighting?Sent from my Nexus 7 using HTF mobile app

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
as of Aug 22nd, I would wait 90 days and purchase around black Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks