HDTV install

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GaryCT, Mar 7, 2001.

1. GaryCT

GaryCT Auditioning

What is the best antenna for getting HDTV and local stations? I assume it is a UHF/VHF antenna that will do HDTV as well.
    Gary

2. Bob Dycus

Bob Dycus Extra

It all depends on how far you are from the transmitter. Most HDTV is in the UHF band. If you are within 30 miles of the transmitter, a simple indoor bowtie antenna will probably get HDTV. The Silver Sensor antenna has gotten good reviews. An antenna that works well for standard TV will also work well for HDTV since they are both just radio waves.

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
  4. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

I am 35 miles from the Boston HD transmitting tower and get excellent reception with a simple Radio Shack antenna. It is meant to be used outdoors, but it is mounted in my attic. I don't use an amplifier. I don't remember the model number, but it is the second largest antenna they make. If you don't want rabbit ears over your TV (I sure didn't), an outdoor antenna mounted in the attic should work well. For further distances, you may need one mounted outdoors with an antenna.
    SMK

5. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

I installed a 32 element TV antenna on a 10' mast on my roof peak. I get 4 HDTV stations from 40 to 45 miles away with signal strengths from 72 to 80 percent (dish 6000 w/8VSB ota tuner).
    ------------------