HDTV in Washington DC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lawrence, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Lawrence

Lawrence Agent

I've just about settled on the Toshiba 40H80 and DTS3000 HDTV Box. If I buy both before March 31st I'll get a $200 rebate from Toshiba. I have a few questions:
    1.) The HDTV box says it works with DirectTV which I do not have. Can I still use this box to get HDTV in the Washington DC area? Can't I just use a normal antenna or do I have to get a satellite dish?
    2.) Is it worth buying Toshiba's DTS3000 box over say the RCA which is half the price? Even with the rebate the Toshiba is a few hundred more, but I figured if the TV and HDTV box are from the same manufacturer they may work together better and be more user friendly.
    3.) I have Tivo- will it work alright with this setup? I realize that the Tivo can't record HDTV, but I hope there will not be any compatibility problems.
    Thank you very much in advance.
    ------------------
    View My DVD Collection

2. Darold_Brins

Darold_Brins Agent

Lawrence,
    I'll answer your questions in order:
    1 - yes, the DST-3000 can be used for OTA only.
    2 - I have the DST-3000 with my TW56x81 and it works like a champ. Plus, it doesn't have a noisy fan
    3 - Don't know don't have Tivo (sorry)
    Darold "Brins" Brinley
    ------------------
    If I wasn't flying fighters, I'd be at home watching HDTV!!!

3. Dean Kaye

Dean Kaye Auditioning

Lawrence,
    The DTC-100 only has a vga output while the Toshiba has component video inputs only. If you purchased the DTC-100 you would also have to purchase a VGA to component converter that runs about $130 at Best Buy. Stick with the DST-3000 or consider looking at the E86 from Hughes. (they make the toshiba and mits boxes as well) You can see my post ref the E-86 and my experience with Value Electonics. For 799 (the current price) you get the E-86 box, a few cables AND the Eliptical Satellite dish.
    Dean

4. Jim Ferguson

Jim Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

Lawrence,
    I'm also local to you. I use the equivalent Hughes model with a Toshiba TW40x81. You can use it fine without a DirecTV connection, although you may want to hook it up if you're interested in HBO in HDTV.
    The local stations are pretty good with the exception of WJLA (ABC) which does not carry the available network HDTV feeds, including NYPD Blue.
    The unit should work OK with a Tivo, but you have to remember to leave the box set to SDTV mode (Use Action-Input) or else there will be no output from the svideo jacks. The Tivo will not know about the local digital stations, only the local analog stations.
    Since you don't have a DirecTV connection you're probably just as well off using the built-in tuner in the TV for retrieving local signals.

5. Lawrence

Lawrence Agent

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    My unit should be delivered tomorrow and I'm planning on just using the antenna for HDTV reception. Since I went for the DST3000, I can always go for a dish later on. For now, I'll see what the free air waves can give me (although I'm a little annoyed to hear that my favorite show, NYPD Blue, will not be in HD!).
    ------------------
    View My DVD Collection