What's new

HDTV in Raleigh?? (1 Viewer)

Wes C

Supporting Actor
Hi, I just bought an HD set this weekend and I am trying to decide if I should get out of my contract with Time Warner and get satellite or just stay with digital cable. The guy at Best Buy told me Time Warner charged an extra 10 dollars a month for the HD cable box. He also said that there was 6-8 month wait for those boxes. If those 2 things are true I will definitely switch. All the other NC people, what do you guys use?

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I have a Dish Network Satellite system. I had not had cable from back in the days when Cary's system had 20 less channels than Raleigh and all the channels below 10 were snowy. Did I mention the fact that the cable went out just about every time it rained?
In Time Warner's defense I have seen their stuff lately at a friends house and it is better now. If you are happy with what you have now I wouldn't expect DBS satellite to blow it away. I have heard that TWC has a waiting list but according to postings at www.avsforum.com and other forums the lists are getting much shorter all around the country including here. I am pretty sure that the cost is less than 10 bucks a month extra for the box as well. Since you are not a current satellite customer you can get a good deal on a new DBS system so it would be worth a look, but I would call Time Warner as well to see what they have to offer too. Realistically, it is going to take a while to pay back initial equipment costs even at $10 a month.
Now the clear advantage that DBS has over cable is the integrated PVR's. If you have been considering a TiVo you should definitely check out the DirecTiVo's for DirecTV or the 501 from Dish (although I think you will get a consensus that the DirecTiVo beats the 501 in every category, especially ease of use).

Andy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
Before I got my HDTV last fall, I was a very satisfied customer of DirecTV. Reluctantly I switched backed to TWC to get HD.

I had to wait about 2 months to get my HD box, but it was well worth it. I don't pay any extra for the HD, it is the same as regular digital cable.

The reason I went back to TWC was so I would not have buy any equipments. With technology improving and standards not finalized, I was reluctant to put down hundreds of dollars when I could get the box from TWC for free.

In Raleigh, TWC has been doing a great job with HD. I get the following channels:

PBS - usually just a demo loop
NBC - very little HD programming, but more coming in the fall
CBS - great HD content, including local news (WRAL)
ABC - a fair amount of HD
FOX - most of their "HD" is not really HD, but still looks better than the regular channel
HBO - Sopranos and many movies, plus great specials like Band of Brothers which is some of the best HD I've seen
Showtime - I rarely watch this one since what they show in HD I'm not usually interested in.

I've not heard whether they will be picking up Discover-HD when it starts next month, nor do I know about UPN and WB when they go HD in the fall. I am hopeful however

-Andy

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Any news on new HD channels coming to TWCNC? I'll be happy with the current list, but would love to see an HD UPN, WB (and a REAL HD Fox).

What's the word on Discovery?

Andy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
I've sent several e-mails to TWC, and none have been answered. I was actually at their office yesterday (to exchange my SA 2100 box for the newer SA 3100) and asked the counter drone, and she had no idea.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks