HDTV in house.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DonnyD, Jan 5, 2002.

1. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Been shopping and trying to rationalize the purchase of a HDTV.... yeah I know, when the upgrade bug bites, rational thought is the first thing to fade. I was in Sam's club last month and noticed the Toshiba 55H70 HDTVs were 1799.00. Some research found that it was last years model in 4:3 config. Scratched my head and a** for the past month and today, went back by there to see if the upgrade virus was still there.... I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the price for the same 55H70 at 1200 bucks. I had to ask two sales persons for confirmation of the price. It was their floor model with full warranty. I had already qualified that due to our viewing habits, we should stay with 4:3 so at 1200, I snatched it up and it is now in my LR.

I have read posts that this model doesn't do some things that the newer ones do but I have tried several dvds of various formats (235:, 185:1) and it seems to be just fine in all. I have a 4700 Toshiba DVD hooked to it the pic is just fantastic and quite a bit difference from my older 55 in non-hd tv.

I have yet to calibrate with VE, but the pic is so detail, and as some have said looks almost 3-D.... and at that price.... did I do good or what?????

2. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

Its a good deal, but I would throw up a gray field from AVIA, and check to make sure there wasn't any "burn in" from being a floor model. I know that those things are on probably 10 hours a day, and constantly messed with by people walking around. OTOH, $1200 for a 55" is a pretty damn good deal.

Matt

3. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

With a floor model, you should always ask about an extended warranty. These TVs can suffer serious damage from being left on all day with the brightness set to maximum.

I'm never one to buy into service plans from these electronic chains, but with an RPTV they are worth it, especially with a floor model.

I'm sure once you run VE and turn down the brightness and cut the sharpness, your picture will be splendid! At that price, you got a great deal.

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Thanks for the advice guys.... Ran VE and found no burn in but had to change a few settings. Actually the set was in movie mode when I got it which had the contrast and brightness down quite a bit. Now I am waiting on some component video cables to really get this set up right. So far, with just regular composite feed from the dvd, the picture is much clearer and on cable, several stations are much better too. What I have noticed is that dvds vary in video quality more than I had noticed on my regular rptv. We are going back through my extensive dvd collection and seen several that were sharper imaging and a few that were softer....

I moved my old rptv ( 3 year old Tosh 55") to the kids room and for the first day, I ran back and forth to try to see the differences in the two. Now I can hardly go back to the old rptv.... it is so fuzzy looking and I can now see all the scan lines that I never noticed before! These HDTVs are worth it!

Had I known that HDtvs would make this much difference even on cable, I would have bought one long ago. I just thought there would only be an improvement with dvds but not so!