HDTV in Canada

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Lvl, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Bob Lvl

Bob Lvl Extra

Are there any Canadians out there getting HDTV from either Star Choice or Bell Express Vu? If so, what are your experiences with the quality of the broadcasts?

I get my HDTV from Star Choice. When everything is working properly, which is most of the time, the picture and sound quality is superb - breathtaking! However, when things are not working properly the experience can be painful.

1. Occasionally I get picture and sound dropouts. Most of these are very brief, but annoying. They seem to be worst on broadcasts that originate with ABC (Detroit). The worst dropouts occurred during NBC's HDTV Olympic broadcasts.

2. HDTV broadcast begin in 4:3 NTSC. Sometimes it takes nearly half the program before "they" make the switch to 16:9 HDTV.

3. Occasionally ABC's HDTV broadcasts (and some PBS broadcasts) come with a beautiful picture and background sound, but not voice track. Somewhere in the conversion from 5.1 surround sound to stereo, the centre channel containing the voice track is lost. I am in the process of putting together a surround sound system, but until it is in place I will have to put up with this problem.

4. Some HDTV programming is not listed on the on screen or web site schedule. If I am lucky I catch those broadcasts at the beginning - if not I catch them at the end.

I don't know where some of these problems are originating - at Star Choice, at their HDTV provider, or at the source.

I think I must have the longest record of complaints at Star Choice! I signed up with Star Choice for the express reason to receive HDTV, so when I things are less than perfect I get very upset. Sometimes I think I am alone in my complaints - that those of us that enjoy WOW TV in Canada are such a small minority that we don't count! So, I am anxious to hear from other HDTV addicts living in Canada with their experiences and frustrations.

2. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Yes and no. HDTV, but with Rogers. Signal, for the most part, has settled out. Very few drop outs lately.

Martin.

3. BobV

BobV Second Unit

If the moderators would permit....
    I have a thread on my site running to report HD problems to Star Choice. I have a direct link to those who are responsible for HD programming on Star Choice and for the past month or so I have been supplying them with specific information as to some of the anomolies. Please do look it up if you could. the more people reporting the actual problems the more it can be worked on.
    Many of the problems are actually source issues, but many are not so it's important to get all the information we can.

4. Bob Lvl

Bob Lvl Extra

BobV
    Thanks so much for the link! I am glad to know that I am not alone, that others are experiencing exactly the same problems with HDTV on Star Choice!
    Hopefully, if viewers keep informing Star Choice of these problems eventually they will all be solved. [​IMG]

5. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

I'm surprised we don't have more input here. There's a whack of us beaver ranchers in this forum.

I'm a digital cable subscriber. We have NO access to HDTV. Since purchase of a Sony 51" Widescreen, it's bothered me no end. Analog sucks, but an inability to access HDTV signals that you know are available to others is much worse.

This thread caused me to speak up. I've emailed Shaw (our digital cable provider) for some input. At the very least they should let the consumer know what the future holds. TV on Demand, 5.1 signal processing, HDTV access should all be made available AND AT THE VERY LEAST we as consumers should be informed with respect to the timeline for introduction of services.

Unfortunately, for us Canucks, we are at the mercy of the ignorance that prevails at the federal level. I make this statement on the basis of the following:

-What has the CRTC ever done to become a leader in technology?

-Why did it take CBC at least 5 years to do something as simple as broadcast in Stereo?

Email, Phone, or if you must, write a letter to your provider. Silence on the issues won't help.

6. Steve K.H.

*bump and update*

No REPLY!!!

"...thank you for your submission... a shaw customer representative will reply within two business days"

(Lying ba$tard$...)

Well, I emailed them again...

ExpressVu or StarChoice are starting to appeal.

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

8. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale

9. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

Nick,

Digital cable has more than enough bandwidth to hold HD. Rogers cable has more HD channels than either SC or BEV.

Peter

10. Mark Maltais

Mark Maltais Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    Shaw does suck, after shelling out 400$ when digital first came out I quickly realized that!!! The only good thing is the 4 free cable connections I got since I do have 5 tv's in the house. But you only get regular cable on those extra outlets unless you buy more terminals. I've started building a new house and shaw WILL NOT be included. I'll be getting a bell expressview (still controlled by CRTC (spit)as far as programming goes) and an american dish for the stuff us Canadians are not allowed to watch (because the CRTC (spit) says it is bad for us). Thank god for the constitutional challenge coming up on american dishes, how a democratic government says what and what you can't watch in this day in age is beyond me! As the saying goes...EVOLVE SHAW OR DIE, don't try to get laws made to keep your monopoly!!!
    Phew that was quite a rant [​IMG]

11. Steve K.H.

Mark, you hit it on the head... almost sounds like my rant in the HDTV thread on the CBC.
    The CRTC is the zit on my picture of "Freedom of Expression".
    Now I'm going to email Shaw again and find out about the Nanaimo thing... find out what the big freakin' secret is all about.[​IMG]

12. Steve K.H.

Done...
    Just for laughs I cut and paste this...
    Your submission has been sent to one of our Customer Service Representatives. You will receive a reply from us within 2 business days.
    Thank you for choosing Shaw!

[​IMG]

13. BobV

BobV Second Unit

14. James FT

James FT Stunt Coordinator

I would suggest if anyone is contemplating HDTV they look a Rogers first. Availability is limited I realize this but I understand it will available is most areas soon however this does not assist the people in Western Canada.

I have had Bell express vu for two years now more than happy with it.

There are occasions when the picture is not 16 by 9 and other occasions when there is no sound.This is more the exception that the rule.

I have looked at Starchoice program line up and it does not compare to Bell.

Having said all that Bell is loosing the race to Rogers.

Bell picks what network feed they want to give you in order CBS ABC PBS NBC.The HDnet hockey games were excellent

They run series of 10-15 movies over and over and If I see Shrek again I think I will Shriek How many times can you show that film. It is on on a daily bases two or three times a day.

It appears that Bell has run out of band-with so nothing will happen until they get next new bird.

The one dis advantage with Bell there is no OTA built into the dish 6000 receiver.

They are bringing out a new receiver I believe a 9000 that no one is talking about but it has some recording features built in or allowable with attached recorder. It will be based on dish equipment.

My threee biggest complaints against starchoice larger sattelite dish,two receivers required for HDTV suppose to be in one sometime soon I heard that a year ago. and limited programming.An other issue with Starchoice that I believe their HDTV receivers cost 100 to $200 more than Bell which sells around the $700.00

One must not overlook programming.

We have the CRTC that dictates programming but are silent on HDTV instead we have to go to our friends to south to get quality entertainment and picture quality.

Only in Canada eh?

15. James FT

James FT Stunt Coordinator

One additiolnal thought upon review of the threads.

I have direct TV and along time ago I decided to go to Bell for HDTV only because it was a cheaper.

Direct TV equupment will cost around $1000.00 US for receiver and dish then you have the cost of prgramming of course all in American dollars.

16. BobV

BobV Second Unit

17. Mark Maltais

Mark Maltais Stunt Coordinator

Mark

18. BobV

BobV Second Unit

19. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave

20. NickSo

NickSo Producer