What's new

HDTV in 4:3 mode (1 Viewer)

Julian Data

Second Unit
Hi!

Being a former ELITE owner (Had to let it go due to divorce) I am in the market again for another HDTV. My question what current 16:9 displays 4:3 currently? I know that the Pioneer does very well in this area but what other manufacturer excel in this area?

I am currently looking at the Pioneer SD533-HD5 or the Hitachi 51S500 or 57S500.

If you have suggestions/recommendations, please don't hesitate to cite them.

Thank you for your time.

Julian

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
What exactly do you mean. Most 16x9 televisions will display a 4:3 picture with the black or gray bands on the sides of the picture. My RCA HDTV can use a setting called "Cinerama" mode to stretch the sides of the picture to fill the screen, but leave the center of the picture alone, giving a less distorted picture.

Julian Data

Second Unit
Hi Chuck,

What I meant was by taking the 4:3 material and stretching it to the screen thus fully showing the material in a 16:9 screen.

julian

marc

Stunt Coordinator
The Hitachi has a 4:3 expanded mode that will do what you are looking for. It distorts a little on the sides, but nothing that will kill you. I have the 65s700 and I love it. Watching SD in 16:9 mode is to squished, and I don't want to watch 4:3 with the bars on the side, of fear of burn in. Take a look at the Hitachi's, I think you might be pleasently surprised.

marc

Julian Data

Second Unit
I understand that all have stretch mode but some don't look right compared to others.

I'll take a trip down to Circuit City and take a look at the Hitachi's 4:3 stretch mode.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Julian,

Make sure that you look at all the stretch modes. My RCA will take a 4:3 signal and stretch it to 16:9 mode but the people and objects in the picture will look squatty. The "Cinerama" stretch mode will look OK in the center, but people and objects will begin to look squatty towards the edges of the screen. 16:9 zoom mode makes the objects look more normal, but I loose resolution on the picture. I stick to "Cinerama" mode when watching 4:3 non-HD broadcast TV.

Julian Data

Second Unit
Thanks Chuck. I'll take a look this coming weekend. I'll see if another brand can sway me away from the Pioneer 533

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks