What's new

HDTV Hook-Up? (1 Viewer)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
It very much depends. Although many HDTV tuners and cable boxes have high definition component outs, up-sampling DVD players can only output a (upsampled) 720p/1080i picture over DVI-HDCP. It is likely that newer electronics, such as HDVD/Bluray players will not be equipped with Component outs-- only HDMI.

So, if you're shopping for a new display, you'll probably want HDMI, or DVI inputs.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Well, actually there are a number of DVD players that will upscale over component. Not many but there are some. The downside to this is that most if not all of these players will NOT upscale copy protected material over the component connection.

HD is very much accessible over the component connections. Any new display that you consider should include HDMI/DVI inputs. Some have one or the other. I have seen Sony and Panasonic displays that have both.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
This answer is a broad one, that I assume should be asked more specifically for the precisely the reasons from the other answering posts. In real-world, it depends.

Theoretically, component video absolutely can handle HD signals and beyond.

But as noted many devices don't take full advantage of their analog component video outputs. So you should probably ask more specifically. But YPbPr as a transmission method and format is capable of HD no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks