HDTV Help (OTA decoder and X1 projector)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tim Abbott, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim
    I thought HDTV was going to be a snap, but it hasn't exactly turned out that way. Here is what I have:

-X1 projector

Description

-Panasonic OTA reciever

Description

I also have a component to VGA breakout cable, which to my understanding should work fine.

Could someone explain what kind of antenna I need? I had assumed that the one I currently had would be fine, but that may be the problem. I receive the networks (NBC, ABC, CBS) crystal clear with my current antenna. It is old (maybe 20 years) but it works great for analog. Is this where my problem is??

I know the HDTV decoder works, and I know that the VGA port on my projector works (tested it w/ a laptop). I don't really want to buy a new antenna, but how can you put a price on watching sports in HDTV [​IMG]

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Tim

2. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

If you are receiving your broadcast already, you may not need another antenna. I currently have a Radio Shack Double bowtie antenna I purchased for $1.95 on clearance. It receives every channel broadcast in my area. You might check out www.antennaweb.org to see what Digital channels are being broadcast in your area.

3. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim
    Hi Hank,

Thanks for the ideas. I know that there is plenty of HDTV being broadcast in my area, and I know that I receive it. I also *think* that I have an antenna that should be able to pick up HDTV, but I'm not sure. I would rather not go out and pick up a new antenna as it would likely have to be one of the big roof mounted ones.

Does anyone else know of any problems/quirks I have with my equipment???

Please help!!

4. GregAnderson

GregAnderson Extra

Are any of your analog channels UHF? are anhy of the new digital channels in your area VHF? It is possible that your old antenna is VHF and your new digital channels are UHF. If that is the case, you'll probably have to buy a new antenna. I also use the RS Double Bow Tie. That and the Silver Sensor seem to do a pretty good job. You may not have to get a new roof mount. YMMV.