HDTV - HD programming gets blurry/choppy on right

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bill Barrington, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Bill Barrington

Hi all,
    I have a JVC 56" HDTV (AV56WP74). I receive my HD signal from my cable company (Time Warner: Using the Explorer 3100HD and good quality gold plated component cables).

HDTV looks outstanding for the most part but I have noticed one thing. Things that to the right of my screen get blurry and "choppy" a lot with HD broadcasts.

For example: During the HDTV broadcast of The Oscars when someone was in the middle of the screen being interviewed they looked crystal clear. The people in the back ground to the left were blurred as you would expect since they were not in focus but it still looked smooth and you could still make them out. The people in the background to the right were also blurred but they seemed more "choppy" and harder to make out and it was not as smooth as the left side.

I've noticed this on several HD broadcasts of different shows and was wondering if anyone knows what it is? Or even if it's anything? Is it tv related, Set Top Box related, Component Cable related, Broadcast related, or am I just way too picky [​IMG]. Non-HD broadcasts and dvds look fine on my tv even to the right.

Another example is The Tonight Show. When Jay Leno is talking with a guest sometimes they focus in on the guest and put Leno to the right. When they do this he becomes blurred and choppy and tough to make out. I'm thinking that this shouldn't happen but I wasn't sure. I tried the other set of component inputs on my tv and have the same result.

A third example (And this one bothers me the most) is watching NBA Basketball in HD. The right part of the screen is always hard to make out. Up close, things look fine but when they pan out and show the whole court it's tough to make out things on the right part of the screen.

Thanks for any insights.

- Bill

2. Bill Barrington

FYI: I adjusted the CRT Color Convergence and that looks to have improved the problem. I will know better once Basketball comes on.