What's new

HDTV: FPTV vs. RPTV (1 Viewer)

Robert Banner

Auditioning
Here it goes...
I am looking to set up an HDTV theater. I need help deciding which way to go for the television, Front or Rear Projection?
Which produces a better picture?
My budget is around $4000, and I know this will affect quality. I would like any opinions that anyone can offer.
What are my options?

teague

Auditioning
Robert,
The best picture quality would be from a CRT based FPTV, but that's probably a lot more than $4K. Also, with FPTV, it is better to have a dedicated room. RPTV's are obviously easier to install and moved around. For $4K in a FPTV, you would be looking at something LCD based probably. Sony has a nice one around $6K. You may be able to get something used that's decent for $4K. If you can find a good one, and have a dedicated room, I would go with a FPTV. Personally, I went with a RPTV, since it is cheaper, and has less hassle to setup, and I do not have a dedicated room, and I need something easy to use for the rest of the family.
Chris

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
There are plenty of good, quality NEW RPTV's in the $4,000 range. The Mitsubishi Platinum Plus 65857 is listed at $4k and most of the Toshiba line is around there as well. As for FPTV, you won't get much for a few grand and would probably be wiser to go the RPTV route.
Quality wise, with a FPTV and a good quality scaler and doubler, it will walk over a RPTV. But, were talking using Vidikron and Runco products here(to achieve the kind of quality that would walk over a RPTV). Those babies aren't cheap. Not that $4,000 is anything to sneeze at, but FPTV's can really run into the stratosphere as far as price goes.
Bruce
------------------
"I'm taking the No. 1 horse...Up Yours!"-Let It Ride

VicRuiz

Second Unit
I suggest you guys come over to the CRT Projectors Forum at www.avsforum.com and get updated on the current state of the front projection market. For $2-3k you can get a nice used 8" unit (like a Marquee 8000 or a Barco 800) with half its useful life left (about 6000 hours) and you'd still have money left for a screen and a scaler.
This is the time to get involved in CRT front projection. You do NOT have to spend 25k on a Vidikron or Runco. A Marquee 8000, a Barco 800, or an NEC PG9000 will outperform any 7" RPTV by a wide margin, and will be well within your budget. Just do your research.
------------------
Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

Steve B

Grip
There isn't a RPTV in existence that comes close to FPTV for HDTV or DVD's. I totally agree with Vic - for $4000 you can get a decent used FPTV. Just do your research. It is worth it. As far as ease of use goes, the RPTV's are CRT based as well and suffer from the same potential set up problems (convergence...) as CRT FPTV's and have less stable electronics. My FPTV is very stable (I check conversion every 6 mos and there is very little or no drift - Sony G70).
Dark room? Yeah, this is definitely a drawback. I have a basement and just use the FPTV for HDTV and DVD material, so it is not a problem for me. I alleviate the lighting problem by using indirect lighting and I have a RPTV for my everyday and kid use.
If you see a well set up FP CRT playing the Superbowl or a DVD from a HTPC, you will never want anything else.
Steve

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Robert:
First, take the advise of the others here and do the research. The best place on the net for this is AV Science, although it can get a little overwhelming at times.
Second, it depends on what you are going to use the projector for. If it is going into a dedicated room, that has control of the room lighting and it is going to be used as a theater to watch mostly movies on, I would go front projection all the way. I used to own one and that is what I am going to get in the future.
If on the other hand you are going to use it to primarily watch TV shows like sports, weekly TV shows, etc. then I would get an RPTV.
As to whether to get a 4::3 RPTV or a 16::9 RPTV there again it depends on what you watch the majority of the time. If you television viewing is mostly TV shows and regular TV then go for the standard 4::3 layout. If you watch a majority of anamorphic widescreen movies and very little TV then go for the widescreen, 16::9 version.
And last but not least take the time to go look at a bunch of different models and pick the one that looks best to you.
Parker

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,
I'm fairly new to this forum but got a lot of really good information here from people more knowledgeable on these matters than I was. There are so many choices and so many things to consider you have to take the time and decide what is best for you in your situation. I agree with the others "DO THE RESEARCH" before you buy. Personally, I decided on RPTV for several reasons. I guess probably the biggest factor was cost and lack of a separate room for theater style viewing. Our particular viewing habits still include a lot of basic television in a living room setting. We watch a lot of Discovery Channel, HBO and network programming. I went with the Pioneer Elite 510Pro. The set works nicely as a standalone unit against a wall or like I did, build it into an entertainment center that takes up an entire wall of our living room.I looked at a lot of sets but to my eyes, this one had the very best picture in normal mode and excellent in HD. The set goes for around $5700 in stores but online delivered to your door you can get it for about $4300.
Good luck!
Jerry
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks