HDTV Format 16X9 only?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Tjia, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Gary Tjia

Gary Tjia Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I was looking at the Sony 36XBR450 at the store last week and was told that HDTV programs are only displayed in 16X9 format, is that true? The salesperson said that ultimately all broadcast will be HDTV and 16X9 TV is what I should be buying.
    Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
    Gary

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

The standard for HDTV is 16.9 only...
    Most of the prime time programming over the last couple of years has been shoot 16.9 and framed for 4.3 even if it is not currently broadcast in HD...
    ------------------

3. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

So that would suggest someone buying a HD TV today should buy 16x9 irregardless of their viewing habits?

4. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

It depends on whether wide letterbox bars bother you. For the same price, when looking at comparable sets, you can often get a larger 16:9 picture by going with a 4:3 set that has a selectable squeeze. (16:9 sets come pre-squeezed.) The 16:9 picture is the same, just with letterbox bars at top and bottom on the 4:3 set. Keep in mind that virtually all movies will have letterbox bars on the 16:9 set too, except pan-n-scanned HBO-HD movies.
    There is a ton of 4:3 content that is upscaled and stuffed in a 16:9 1080i wrapper with side letterbox bars (usually black.) For example, check out http://www.sho.com/framelaunch.cfm?page=/schedules/schedule.cfm&pageparam=network_-_SHZClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

5. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Well, Andrew, if you have the money, you can buy a 4:3 screen now and a 16x9 later. But, if you want future-proof, a widescreen monitor is the way to go.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    "If you and your undershirt would take two steps backward, I could enter this dwelling"

6. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

My main worry about a WS TV is burn in. I have read so many different opinions on how much of a problem it is or can be.
    I also noticed at my local Sears (only place that proce matches the internet) their catalog has all the new models coming out. Sooo ... do I get the new sets and pay the premium or do I get (hopefully) a better deal on the older models. I'm in the market to buy asap as the Direct view in my living room is going once I decide on a replacement.

7. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

If you are looking at 16:9 sets at Sears I assume you are looking at the Mits. I think that the 2002 models are supposed to have firewire connections. If that is the case, it may be worth it to go ahead and pay the premium that the newer sets will demand. Further futureproofing IMO.
    C. Ryan

8. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

4:3 burn-in on a 16:9 set is not really going to be a problem, because if you're wise then you're not going to watch 4:3 in its original aspect ratio without cropping on your 16:9 set. You're either going to watch 4:3 with the top and bottom chopped off or with it horizontally stretched. The best way is to have it both slightly vertically cropped and slightly horizontally stretched, with a progressive stretch such that the middle of the screen is about right. So, the only problem is whether you can deal with that distortion and cropping.
    ------------------
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

9. Michael St. Clair

Virtually all of the "true 16:9" sets are 4:3 internally (optics and CRT), justpre-squeezed. Yes, there are some engineering issues like spot beam size, but these can and are being addressed (and all HD sets are dealing with focus and other issues between the various resolutions).
    As far as zooming and cropping, I could never do that to quality 4:3 material (I spend half of my DVD/LD time watching 4:3 material, TV time not withstanding!).
    A 4:3 set like the Sony HS20/HS30 and this fall's Toshiba 43HX71/53HX71 look to be better sets (with larger 16:9 images than 16:9 sets for the same price) for many, if not most people. The only people who need not apply are those who can't stand to see that their set is "taller" (not narrower) than a 16:9 set or those who can't stand seeing that their 4:3 image is larger (but throw in most Welles or Kubrick films or Imax stuff and you won't complain).
    [Edited last by Michael St. Clair on July 10, 2001 at 09:05 AM]

10. Joe_R

Joe_R Auditioning

The future is 16x9. I have found where I am that ABC is passing 720p 16x9. CBS, NBC and PBS are passing 1080i 16x9. Fox is passing 480i or 480p 4x3. This seems to be the case in most other cities. There are exceptions on programming. You also can't beat an anamorphic progressive DVD. It's wonderful in 16x9.

11. Marque D

Marque D Stunt Coordinator

12. Joe_R

Joe_R Auditioning

Yeh, that All-Star game decision really pissed me off too. I can't believe MLB actually produced an HD feed and Fox did not jump on. Fox has passed on everything from Nascar Baseball. Wake up FOX!