HDTV for the rest of us

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David_D, Apr 5, 2002.

1. David_D

David_D Stunt Coordinator

Some of us (me, for one) really want to move to an HD compatible viewing arrangement, but have serious limitations is space or somewhat incompatible viewing habits (lots of older 4:3 films). For such people, it seems as if a 32" or 36" 4:3 HD compatible direct view might be a good solution. A 16:9 direct view is attractive, but seems to limiting for Casablanca, etc.

So, given that, what are your recommendations, experience, and/or advice in this area? I know there are many players in this category now (Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, Hitachi, Zenith, Samsung...)

How is the image quality for broadcasts?

How is the image quality for DVD?

Does it "squeeze"?

How accurate is the "squeeze" out of the box? (Does it need tweaking?)

How is the HD broadcast image quality?

I assume few if any have DVI inputs, but most should have them next year, I imagine.

Dave

2. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

Hi. I have a Sony 32XBR450 and the Samsung HD box. I didn't want to get a widescreen set yet, either. I couldn't be happier with my decision. The XBR is pretty much the best direct-view tv there is, so cable and DVD look great. And HD is another level of amazing. I actually watched a basketball game in HD, just because it was in HD (I don't like basketball, and would never watch it otherwise).

-Erik

3. Ray Melnik

Ray Melnik Agent

David,

I have a HDTV 16:9 front projection system and I have HDTV cable. The HDTV is limited to one channel (HBO) right now but should grow soon.

My system stretches the image to full screen 16:9 while viewing regular digital cable and shows the widescreen and full screen on the HDTV channel (depending on the movie). DVD looks great on HDTV as well. It made a big difference in my case when I went from standard TV to HDTV-ready with DVD quality. I watch some old movies on DVD and they are formated for full screen 16:9.

4. James Zubb

James Zubb Stunt Coordinator

I have the Hitachi 32UDX10S.

Exellent picture with DVD. The squeeze is great and easy, just a single button on the remote. Broadcast is good. I don't have an HD reciever so can't comment on that. The biggest selling point for me was it is very inexpensive compared to the other HD sets ($1199 at Circuit City in store only).

There are a couple of caveats. there is only 1 component input, so you will need a switcher if you plan on using DVD and HD tuner. Not a flat screen though the curve is minimal, look at in the store to see if it would bother you.

5. Justin Bowser

I have had the 38" RCA tube set for about 7 months and am pretty happy with it. It has HD and Sat receivers built in. I did a side-by-side compare between several sets at Frye's abd the RCA seemed to me to have the clearer/crisper picture. Frye wouldn't deal at all on price so I ordered fom ABT Electronics and it was delivered in 4 days!