HDTV football frustration

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Andrew Grall, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

Hey folks,

Well, with the increased amount of pro football that will be broadcast in HDTV this season, I've decided to take the plunge into the HDTV world. I live in the Detroit suburbs and am a Green Bay Packers fan, so here are my options as I see them:

Comcast HDTV: I am a current Comcast cable and cable modem subscriber. However, I have just basic (non-digital) cable. There will be a slight(?) increase in price to go digital. With Fox being unclear on how many games they will show in HD, it looks like I can look forward to seeing 4 games for sure in HDTV via ABC and ESPN. Even if Fox broadcasts in 480p or better, it's uncertain as to how many games I'll see living in Lions territory instead of Packer territory.

DirecTV: Ok, here it gets complicated. I would love to go this route for the NFL Ticket so that I could watch all my Packer games at home. But, here it appears I would have to spend around $400 to a HD receiver, $200 for the NFL ticket, plus ?? per month for the other basic services. Then, I would either have to switch to DSL or pay more to keep my cable modem. And, on top of this, we have 5 TVs in our house, and I would have to deal with connecting them up somehow... (Could I use some kind of splitter?)

To complicate this a bit more... I would be more willing to go the DirecTV route if I knew we would be out of Packers territory for a while, but it is rather likely we will be moving to the Milwaukee area next July...

Anyone have any input, suggestions, workarounds?

Thanks.

P.S. Either way I go, I will need a component switcher because my TV only has 2 inputs and they are currently used by the X-Box and DVD player. Would a y-splitter work okay? Or should I pick up a switch? Madcatz has one for around $30 now...

2. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I love my DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket but if you're going to be moving in a year, I would just go with Comcast. As you've seen, it's gonna be quite an investment for you to get DirecTV up and going. You can't simply split a DirecTV signal like cable. You'll need a DirecTV receiver for each TV in your house and a separate line from your DirecTV dish, not to mention a $4.99 charge per month for each additional receiver. As you can see, it adds up quick.

3. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

I love DirecTV and Sunday ticket and the wife is a huge Packer fan. DirecTV HDTV in the movie theater, along with my Tivo, so $10 in extra charges for those boxes.

HD ESPN looks great, and all ESPN, MNF and CBS games are in HD this season as well as one Sunday Ticket game (which may be the same as the CBS game, not sure on that one yet).

I'd go DirecTV, you only live once [​IMG]

Plus, I'm hooked on DiscoveryHD, especially Insectia, great show!

4. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn

5. Andrew Grall

6. Paul Jenkins

Glenn is correct, my statement was too broad [​IMG]

Andrew, yes, my friend has 2 receivers outputting to 4 TVs in his house. I have 5 receivers, so I just pay $20 extra a month ($5 for each receiver beyond the first). What you can't do is split the signal on the input, just the output (in other words, you are limited by the number of boxes to the number of things you can watch)...

7. Andrew Grall

Well, I'm tempted to just go the HDTV Comcast route, unless someone can point me in the direction of an awesome deal on a DirecTV HDTV receiver.

Has anyone ever received a good deal or account credit by calling DirecTV and asking why they should sign up for DirecTV for HDTV when you can get the HDTV box from the cable company for free?

8. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

So...

Does DirecTV offer ESPN in HD? To my knowledge Dish does not. Also, would the MNF come through in HD with DirectTV? Does it have an ABC HD station, or would it come in through the ticket??

Anyone know?

Thanks.

9. Paul Jenkins

yes, ESPN is in HD on DirecTV [​IMG]

MNF HD will be local broadcast only to the best of my knowledge.

10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

11. Andrew Grall

Does Comcast have any plans to being HD CBS into their lineup?

12. Jonathan

Jonathan Second Unit

My local Comcast has the local CBS HD signal, but not NBC & ABC. Hopefully they will add them soon.

13. Bill_S

Bill_S Auditioning

Take the Comcast plunge! You will never get your locals from a Direct of Dish, and trust me, that is what it will all be about eventually. You can only watch animals and pay movies for a certain amount of time before you realize that you want your locals in HD. I just left Dish for Comcast and that was the reason.

14. Paul Jenkins

all HDTV receivers get OTA. I get all the Dallas Local HDTV broadcasts in addition to the DirecTV HDTV content.

Forget the Comcast splat [​IMG]

15. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

16. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

17. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

Tim, don't you have a HDTV converter? I though OTA stuff with an antenna still required some sort of set top box.

18. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Jake - Yes, you still need an HDTV receiver (STB) to get OTA. I have a DirecTV HDTV receiver that I use for OTA and DirecTV.

19. Andrew Grall

Well, apparently you can get local stations through DirecTV in my area... but will they be the HD ones?

Well, I'm just about resigned to go with Comcast, although I will probably try to call DirecTV first and ask them why I should go with them if I can get an HD converter box from Comcast for free. I would love to go DirecTV, but I can't justify the cost of the HD receiver right now...

20. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    DirecTV is testing some lower cost "lease" deals for HDTV equipment. I think they realize they'll need to compete with Cable better on HD. The initial investment/setup required to get HDTV via Satellite/OTA is a deterrant for many.

http://cableworld.com/ar/directv_int...hdtv/index.htm