What's new

HDTV DVD players (2 Viewers)

Robert K

Agent
Well its been 10 years since I set up my then high tech home theater....and thats long enough dont your think to buy a new HDTV home theater setup!:)

I heard rumor from a friend there may be a DVD player that outputs in HDTV format?

What would be the best DVD player to buy in the next 3 months to get me through another decade?

Should I wait, are there coming improvements that might cause me to put off a purchase now?

Why is there no true recording in HDTV, e.g., DVD material? I have not heard buzz about that and that seems to me would be a particularly excellent boost for the HDTV industry since the broadcast product is so limited.

Thanks for any thougths,
Robert

RobertJP

Auditioning
Interesting enough, I was talking to a buddy of mine and he said there is a Samsung model out that supports the HDTV format.... I too would be curious to hear if others have any thoughts on this.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
The Samsung 931 (among a few others) only upscales from 480p to 720p or 1080i.....not really HD at all, just scaling. It may tend to look better on certain fixed pixel displays as it is broadcasting closer to the displays native resolution.

Mort

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Its not HD, DVD source material is 720x480 (ED) resolution only. There are a few models like that Samsung that just upconvert/scale it up to 1080i but its a fake HD - you can't add pixel information! You will have to wait a few years for models with a new HD-DVD format to come out before you will get true HD on DVD. The only true HD now is from broadcast stations like the major networks - they have most of their primetime shows in HDTV now. There are now appearing new HD PVRs that can record the compressed HDTV bitstream to hard disk for playback later. The only archivable medium for HDTV right now is video tape since there is no HD-DVD medium out yet.

greg_t

Screenwriter
To add to what Don said, many RPTV's now have a built in scaling feature as well. For example, my Pioneer Elite can take either 480i or 480p and upscale it to 1080i. Again, both it's scaling and scaling dvd players outputs are not close to HD quality, it's just scaling a 480 line image.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
To add to what everyone else said, please be cautious if you plan on actually purchasing the Samsung HD-931 DVD player. The scaling everyone is referring to, I believe, only happens when utilizing the DVI-output. And more importantly, this player has had its fair share of issues. I'm currently waiting for a competent DVI-output DVD player to hit the market.

Scott.

Chris Cash

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't bother. Blu Ray DVD players have already been released in Japan. These are DVD player that play in High Deffenition. They should reach the states by 2005.

~C.C.~

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks