Hdtv dropouts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Leahy, May 6, 2002.

1. Bill Leahy

Bill Leahy Agent

Could someone explain why I may be getting video and audio dropouts with my new Hughes hd receiver. The piture looks great, but every few seconds this occurs. Thanks to all that help

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome aboard, Bill. What you're describing is not an uncommon occurrence, sorry to say. Reception for DTV signals is either "on" or "off"--meaning, you either get the signal or you don't; there are no gradations of picture quality, as with NTSC signals.

Is it occurring frequently--as in, all the time? If so, you might want to contact the people at Hughes.

3. Bill Leahy

Bill Leahy Agent

Thaks for the quick reply. I would say that its all the time, however I just today connected mt RS dble bowtie antenna to it and watched for a few moments. Ther was not and consistent picture though. 15 secs on, 10 secs off, so on. I guess that since I got some picture that i have an ok antenna right? I would really like to not go with an outdoor model.. Mine is just sitting on my speaker, and I didnt really have to search for a picture. Different locations do not produce less dropouts do they? Thanks again

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Settop antennas are not usually enough for HDTV

5. Jeff R.

Jeff R. Stunt Coordinator

Try moving the antenae around in the room. Walls and other electrical components may affect the reception. Also, If there are a lot of trees and/or hills between you and the transmitter, that could degrade the signal. How far are you from the transmitter and what is the terain like?

6. Bill Leahy

Bill Leahy Agent

Thanks for help guys. Not too many trees, and I'm about 35 miles from Roxburough NJ, the home of the towers. I will try to move the baby around, and see what happens. I do have my Hughes on top of other units on top of my HDTV, so I'll relocate that too. Cant go too far though because my optical audio cable is only soo long, and I have only 8 feet of rf cable. Do you think 35 miles is very far from the towers?[​IMG]

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Considering the reception I get OTA for NTSC a mere 5mi from the towers, yes