HDTV / Dolby Digital question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Kennedy, Jan 27, 2001.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Auditioning

I have worked my way through TV selection, through STB selection, and now audio. The dish 6000 receiver only outputs optical; my DVD/LD combo outputs coax; my a/v receiver (Kenwood KR-V990) only has a single coax input for DD5.1. Is there any sort of combiner splitter that will allow both outputs to be sent to the receiver? Do newer receivers have multiple inputs; replacing this receiver was not in the plan.
    thanks
    Mike

2. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

You might try searching this forum for 'digital' 'audio' and 'switch(er)'.
    I seem to remember reading at one time there was a box that could switch between many coax and optical inputs to a single output.
    Good luck
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Paul Warren
    I have a wonderful proof of this theorem but, with the 1536 kb/s bitrate DTS soundtrack, there is no room on the DVD to write it.
    -Fermat

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Guitar Center of all places sold an optical to coaxial converter. I'm sure you can find something like this online and convert optical to coaxial.
    With the optical signal converted to coax, you could then get an A/V switcher, like the $40 S-video one from Radio Shack. I have used that to switch multiple DVD players with coaxial outputs into a single coaxial input (using the S-Video for video inputs and the composite video inputs for the coaxial lines.)
    But by the time you've spent $100 or so for the converter and switchbox, that might be money better spent on a new receiver.
    - Steve